Gluten free chicken apple sausage combined with maple syrup, gluten free pancake mix, eggs, and more. This breakfast bake recipe makes a healthy breakfast casserole for breakfast on the go, brunch, or breakfast for dinner!
- 4 oz (about 1 cup chopped) gluten free maple or apple sausage (we use Al fresco fully cooked chicken sausage breakfast links)
- 2–3 tsp butter or non dairy butter (divided)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup plus 1 tsp maple syrup for cooking sausage.
- 1 apple, chopped and cored
- 2 cup gluten free apple or buttermilk pancake mix (See notes for substitutions)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp -3 tbsp walnuts (to be chopped)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- melted butter and additional maple syrup for topping.
- Optional apple slices on top
- First brown your your sausages in a skillet with 1 tsp butter and maple syrup. If you are using fully cooked sausage then this will only take a few minutes on medium heat until they brown.
- If you are using uncooked, then be sure to brown and check the internal temperature to reach 160F (uncooked takes about 10-12 minutes).
- Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Next preheat oven to 350F.
- Chop your apple. Leave skin on if desired. Feel free to save a few thin apple slices for the top of the bake. See pictures.
- Next chop your walnuts or whatever nut you are using.
- Once sausage is cooled, chop it into smaller pieces to mix.
- Place pancake mix, spices, apple, and nuts in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk your egg, 1/3 cup maple syrup, milk, and extracts together.
- Pour your egg mixtures in with the pancake/apple mix and then fold in your sausage.
- Let this sit for about 5 minutes if you are using pancake mix.
- While that is sitting, grease a 8×8 baking dish.
- Then after 5 minutes pour the mix into the baking dish.
- Place optional apple slices on top. Drizzle a little melted butter on top and extra cinnamon if desired.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Slice and serve with butter/maple syrup for a breakfast bake.
- You can also let this cool and keep for later. Just wrap with foil and store in fridge. Warm in oven when ready to serve.
- If you don’t have pancake mix, feel free to use a gluten free multipurpose flour or a paleo flour mix. Be sure to add in 1-2 tsp baking powder if the mix doesn’t have it already in there. Baking times might need to be adjusted. Check at 30 minutes to be safe.
- You can serve this with baked apple slices on top instead of fresh unbaked slices. Just slice apples, sprinkle with cinnamon and bake on a greased baking sheet at 350F for 20 minutes.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 10.5g
- Sodium: 649.1mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrates: 31.6g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Cholesterol: 64.6mg
Keywords: apple sausage, gluten free breakfast, breakfast bake, breakfast casserole