Make these easy gluten-free air fryer zucchini fries in minutes for a healthy side dish, snack, or appetizer the whole family will love! Dairy-free option.
- 1 medium zucchini (300–350 g) or 2 small zucchini (200 grams each)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup flax meal
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten free seasoning of choice (taco seasoning, Italian, etc.) *See notes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- Pinch kosher salt and pepper
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray oil (light olive oil or avocado oil)
- Prepare the zucchini by trimming the ends off of the zucchini and cutting the zucchini in half into sticks about 1/3 inch thick and 3 to 4 inches long. Try to avoid the seed center. Sprinkle salt over the zucchini and let them “sweat” for 10 minutes. Pat the strips down with a paper towel to remove excess water then set aside to continue to dry out. Getting excess moisture out lets them crisp better. (See blog for an alternative method.)
- In a shallow wide bowl, whisk together the parmesan or nutritional yeast, flax meal, almond flour and seasonings. In another shallow bowl, whisk the egg.
- Dip the zucchini strips in whisked egg, then coat with the flax meal and cheese mixture. Preheat the air fryer to 400 F. Once preheated, spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil spray. Place the coated zucchini in a single layer in the preheated air fryer basket and lightly spray the coated zucchini with cooking oil.
- Air fry for 7 to 9 minutes or until golden and crispy. Depending on the size of the air fryer, you may need to work in batches until the zucchini is cooked through. Remove carefully with tongs and continue cooking in batches.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container. Reheat fries in the air fryer at 400 for 2 to 3 minutes to crisp up the fries again.
Alternative Method – OVEN OPTION – Preheat the oven to 400F. Spray the fries with cooking spray and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. After baking for 15 minutes, flip the fries over to bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes. If desired, broil for the last minute for extra crispy fries. Careful not to burn them!
Seasoning Tip – If using a seasoning mix that does not contain salt, add an additional ¼ teaspoon or adjust to taste.
Dredging Tip – Use one hand for dredging in the wet mix (egg) and the other for coating them with parmesan/flour. Then use tongs to place on a baking sheet or the air fryer.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Rest/Chill Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 to 9 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 163
- Sugar: 0.4 g
- Sodium: 561.1 mg
- Fat: 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.4 g
- Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 7.9 g
- Cholesterol: 57.3 mg
Keywords: air fryer zucchini fries, air fry zucchini, zucchini fries, zucchini