AIP friendly Breakfast Porridge made on the stove or instant pot!
gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, egg-free, dairy-free
- 2–3 tbsp lightly toasted sunflower seeds (or 1 Tbsp tahini)- if you can tolerate. For seed substitute, use an additional 2 tbsp of coconut flakes or coconut butter (grounded) See notes
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp chia seed or flaxseed (omit for AIP or substitute with 1 tbsp collagen/ gelatin powder)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger, ground
- pinch of turmeric, ground
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup water or coconut milk, more if needed
- 1 cup chopped squash, cooked (ex: butternut squash or kabocha/ or acorn squash ).
- If using Instant pot you will need additional coconut oil or ghee and water
- pure maple syrup or raw honey
Extra toppings: berries or cherries, pomegranate seeds, coconut cream or coconut yogurt to top.
SEE NOTES FOR SEED SUBSTITUTES
Stove Top Instructions
- Combine all dry ingredients (sunflower seeds, coconut chia, and spices and grind in a coffee grinder or blender until you get a flour-like consistency. If you are short on time, use tahini instead of sunflower seeds and just mix all together. SEE NOTES FOR SEEDLESS option.
- .In a small bowl, add the dry mixture with water or coconut milk, let it adsorb and form a gel. Feel free to save a little bit of the gel for topping!
- Scoop cooked squash and gel mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat the porridge stove-top on medium heat just until it starts to bubble. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, pour into your favorite bowl, and top with the dry mixture you set aside.
- Optional Add in –> 1 tsp of ghee if desired, helps improve digestion and healthy fats help absorb the nutrients adding in more nourishment.
- Top with fresh berries, extra milk, etc.
INSTANT POT OPTION
- Peel and Chop your squash into large pieces. Place in the instant pot with 1 tbsp or less of coconut oil. Add in a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg and sauté for 5 minutes, turning the squash.
- Once the squash is coated, Add 1/3 cup of water to Pressure Cooker cooking pot and lock on lid, close pressure valve.
Cook on Manual High Pressure for 5-6 minutes.
Allow a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release. Or use a quick release if short on time. Release the lid, drain the water then puree the squash with a hand blender.
- Mix in your other ingredients (dry mix and tahini/sesame mix) and a splash of milk (non dairy). Stir all together. Place the lid back on and keep it on warm mode until ready to serve. See notes for meal prep.
Nutrition Below based on one serving using coconut milk versus water. Cotter Crunch RECIPE updated and adapted from 2014
NOTES FOR AIP substitutes – seeds are used if well tolerated. If you need SEED substitutes, you can use ground coconut flakes or coconut butter mixed with a pinch of cinnamon, sea salt, and/or grated orange zest or ginger root in place of the sunflower seeds/tahini.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: pressure cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: aip, breakfast, instant pot, porridge, healthy, paleo, vegan