Half the battle when it comes to eating a healthy gluten free diet is simply planning and meal prepping A TON a once. Here’s a resourceful round of up of my go to weekly meal prep recipes using just 5 types of ingredients. Save money and time! Vegan, paleo, Keto, and gluten free/dairy free options.
This may surprise you to hear this, but we don’t always eat perfectly. Gasp! I know. This coming from a food blogger and nutritionist. How is this even possible? Haha, well my friends, it’s called REAL life. And to be honest, I sometimes get so caught up in work and other FOODIE projects, that my meal planning goes out the window. Thankfully, I have a job where I can confess my meal prep sins and ask for accountability. That’s exactly what happened when we launched the anti-inflammatory meal prep challenge. It was AWESOME and hard at the same time. But we were all in it together!
Which brings me to another MEAL PREP POST! Yup!
I had this idea of sharing another MINIMALIST meal prep post. That way it would hold me accountable to actually doing it as well as helping you all. We’ve taken MEAL PREP meals and SIMPLIFIED it. Because let’s face it, half the battle when it comes to eating a whole foods gluten free diet is simply planning and meal prepping A TON a once. Actually, it’s quite a resourceful round of up of meal prep recipes so I think you’ll save a ton of money (and time) too.
What food is good to meal prep?
The key to make ahead meals and freezer friendly casseroles is to keep it simple. And when I say simple, I mean so simple that all you need are 5 different types of ingredients. No more than 10-12 TOTAL. Protein (plant based included), starchy vegetables and leafy vegetables, gluten free grains, and a binding agent or healthy sauce.
Can you weekly meal prep for your family if everyone has different dietary needs?
Yes, yes you can! I’ve created these meals to not only feed the whole family, but to also tailor to just about any diet or food allergy out there. All with just 5 ingredients! Trust me, that took work. But OH SO WORTH IT!
Each meal has been tested by family and a few picky friends in particular. But that’s a good thing because now you know that these make ahead meals will be perfect for picky eater kids too.
We’ve narrowed it down to 4- 5 different dietary needs. Vegetarian, low carb/keto, gluten free and dairy free, vegan, and paleo. I told you I don’t mess around with meal prep and accountability.
So lets get started. Let me explain how this whole Five ingredients, five ways of meals for the weeks works. You ready to taken notes?
Easy Make-Ahead Meals with just 5 ingredients
Two EASY MAKE AHEAD PREP options here folks.
First option – Meal prep each casserole/bake, place them in fridge for the week. When ready to bake, just pop them in the oven for 30 minutes. Yes, 30 minutes, that’s all! And I highly recommend these 12×8 glass casserole dishes for larger meal prep meals.
Second option – Bake each 5 ingredient meal, then freeze for later. BAM! Done! Bake when ready to eat. No rush, these meals last up to 3-4 months in freezer.
So now you must be wondering. What the heck are the 5 ingredients??? How do you even simplify each meal like that? Oh glad you asked!
You see, there are more than 5 ingredient options. Actually, we’re focusing a mix and match of 5 TYPES OF INGREDIENTS to make 5 MEALS…. in less than 30 minutes.
The chart below identifies each TYPE OF MEAL PREP INGREDIENT. Then all you do is mix and match for your dietary needs. I PROMISE THIS WORKS! But let’s discuss a little more. Mmm k?
WEEKLY MEAL PREP RECIPE Ingredients (MIX and MATCH).
Choose one from each line or skip a whole line and double up on two in another line!
- INGREDIENT 1 – Fiber filled vegetable bases (perfect for veggie rice, casseroles, etc.)
- cauliflower or broccoli
- INGREDIENT 2 – Vegetable toppings or mix ins. Vegetables that are not as starchy but add a lot of flavor or texture.
- zucchini, tomatoes, or greens (kale/spinach)
- INGREDIENT 3 – Gluten free cooked grains
- Quinoa, Rice, or lentil (GF) pasta
- INGREDIENT 4 – Binding agents/Mix ins
- Natural Cheese, cultured yogurt or sour cream, paleo mayo, hummus
- INGREDIENT 5 – Protein (meat and vegan based)
- Cooked/Canned drained Chickpeas, Canned Tuna, leftover chicken , or eggs
(Extra spices and olive oil not included)
- Chili powder and or cumin
- Curry powder or curry paste
- Italian seasoning
So all we are going to do is mix and match and create 5 meals. Make sense?
I’ve put my together my favorite 5 meals as samples. Measurements below. Each casserole/bake serves around 4 people. And I highly recommend you check out THESE LARGE MEAL PREP CONTAINERS that you can MAKE and BAKE right in the pan.
Go to gluten free Meal Prep Recipes using 5 types of Ingredients
Creamy Tuna Noodle & Broccoli Prep Casserole (Grain Free and Dairy Free)
No dairy needed. Just mix the gluten free pasta and tuna with hummus! Yes, I said hummus. Then bake with vegetables and herbs.
Click here for the TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE MEAL PREP RECIPE.
Curried Cauliflower and Chickpea Bake (vegan)
Meal Prep Recipe – Curried Cauliflower and Chickpea Bake (vegan, gluten free)
- Two 15 oz canned drained chickpeas
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tsp + Curry powder or seasoning
- 1 tbsp oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked white rice or brown rice
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Optional handful of spinach or herbs
- See notes for extra ingredient options – to top
- Preheat oven to 350 F and oil 12×8 glass casserole dish/meal prep container. If meal prepping without baking, skip preheat.
- Toss your chickpeas and cauliflower florets in curry powder with 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Next mix in your rice and toss again. Layer all in oven safe casserole dish.
- Stuff spinach or herbs within the rice/cauliflower.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Freeze after cooked if using for meal prep. (Freeze for up to 3 months)
- Alternatively, you can also SKIP BAKING and just store prepped casserole in fridge, covered, until until ready to bake. Store in fridge for up to 5 days.
- Sprinkle with extra curry powder, garlic, pepper, etc before serving.
- Feel free to mix in your favorite curry sauce or add a tbsp of nutritional yeast for “cheesy” vegan option.
Oven safe meal prep casserole dish I use.
- Category: dinner
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: indian
Keywords: meal prep, vegan, casserole, curry, healthy, gluten free, cauliflower, rice
Tex-Mex Egg and Cheese Cauliflower Casserole (Keto, Low Carb, Gluten Free)
Layers of vegetables, eggs, cheese, and spicy Tex-Mex flavor. BAM! Done.
CLICK HERE FOR THE CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE RECIPE
Italian Chicken and Spinach (Paleo, Keto)
One of my favs! Leftover roast chicken tossed in paleo mayo (or cultured yogurt/cottage cheese if you can handle dairy) then mixed with Italian spice mix, diced tomatoes (or a spaghetti sauce), and veggies.
Italian Chicken and Spinach Casserole (Paleo, Keto friendly).A Meal Prep Recipe Using 5 Ingredients.
- ¾ lb roasted chicken – shredded (or sliced gluten free chicken sausage)
- ½ c cultured sour cream or paleo mayo
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup or more sliced zucchini (pressed with paper towel to remove extra water)
- 2 cups Spinach leaf
- Diced canned tomatoes or a diced tomato pasta sauce. Drain excess tomato juice before using. (If using canned tomatoes, buy Italian and herb flavor).
- Kosher salt/pepper to taste.
Preheat oven to 350 F and oil your casserole dish/meal prep container. If meal prepping without baking, skip preheat.
- Toss your chicken in sour cream or mayo. Mix in garlic powder and italian seasoning. Set aside.
- next Layer your zucchini and spinach at the bottom of the casserole. Save extra for topping.
- Place your chicken mix on top of the spinach and chicken.
- Last, spoon your tomato mix on top of the chicken. Add any extra zucchini or spinach on top. Be sure the tomatoes and zucchini are not too watery otherwise the dish will accumulate water when baking.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Freeze after cooked if using for meal prep. (Freeze for up to 3 months)
Alternatively, you can also SKIP BAKING and just store prepped casserole in fridge, covered, until until ready to bake. Store in fridge for up to 5 days.
- Oven safe meal prep casserole dish I use.
- TO AVOID EXCESS WATER in casserole – You can also lightly bake your zucchini slices in oven at 400 for 10 minutes before adding them to the casserole. This will remove water.
- Category: dinner
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Keto, paleo, meal prep, casserole, Italian, chicken,healthy, low carb, make ahead, dinner
And I’m sure you’re wondering what the fifth weekly meal prep recipe looks like. Right? Well, I’ll show you my trick. UTILIZE those lefotvers or EACH ingredient.
You take an ingredient from each list (just double or triple the greens) and toss. It’s one EPIC MEAL PREP BOWL or SALAD!
Phew! That’s it! Told you it was a long one! But these meals have saved me when we’ve come home from a road trip (aka no food in house) or when I’ve been busy with work but not actually making real food. Real food (freezable) ingredients that actually taste DELISH. I may be bias.
5 recipes, 5 ways, 5 ingredients, and each one feeds 4! That’s 20 meals ya’ll!!
Now, save this post. Bookmark. Pin it! And comment below if you have any questions. I AM HAPPY to HELP make substitutes.