14 Ways You Might Be Standing in Your Way to Success and how to unblock them! The truth is, we all can sometimes get in our way and hold ourselves back, but let’s be ready to recognize and change that.
One thing I have learned over the past few years is that it’s important to have certain friends who not only encourage you, but also hold you accountable and are REAL with you. Tara is definitely one of those friends. And when you are an entrepreneur/blogger/big dreamer, you definitely need someone who knows how you feel but can also encourage you to LIVE life first. Because, let’s face it, sometimes we get in our own way.. .. okay, a lot of times we get in our own way. At least I do.
So today I am taking a step back so that you can breathe in all this encouragement yourself. Tara Newman is one amazing friend and life coach that not only practices what she preaches, but has the boldness to share her experiences, her failures, and unconventional ways to success with us! Thank you Tara!
Hi! I’m Tara Newman and I’m so excited Lindsay has asked me back to share my passion for helping mission-driven people succeed.
I’m a Success and Mindset Coach.
I help ambitious people reduce overload, develop their own way to success model, and master the mindset they need to set their world on fire.
I believe we can do big, purposeful things without losing our sanity, health, or family. This is something I figured out the hard way. After a very real experience with burnout, I became determined to live my purpose everyday and perform my best by doing less. The result? I’ve learned how to succeed and achieve with ease.
I’ve learned lots of other things from my experience and from the 100’s of awesome people I have coached over the years. Like this gem I’m sharing with you today…you’re probably blocking your own success.
I am in the process of making the shift from corporate crusader to entrepreneur. A shift that in my head is a done deal. It’s something I could have done a long time ago except for one giant hurdle standing in my way.
For most of my life, my overdeveloped inner critic ruled the roost.
I did what I was supposed to do.
I followed the rules.
I challenged nothing.
I just went with the tide.
Except I’m not average. None of us are.
We have unique skills and dreams that are meant to be shared with the world around us.
For ten years I have held the vision of teaching people how to improve their lives and businesses by honing their mindset and leadership skills.
I had a vision of leaders standing confidently for what they believe, making impact in the world around them, and sharing their inspiring messages — whether this meant leading in their business, career, or relationships.
And for ten years, I couldn’t get started. I didn’t know how or why or what was standing in my way. I over thought myself in circles trying to gain clarity and move past what was blocking me.
Until I realized what was blocking me was ME and man, that really pissed me off. I look back on the younger, rule following, terrified version of me with regret.
Why couldn’t you just get out of your own way, follow less rules, be a little braver?
So, here is what I would tell my younger, less confident self.
You are standing in the way of your own success. Here’s why:
- You aren’t letting yourself fail. This is so painful and scary but the truth is, success only comes through failure.
- You aren’t thinking BIG picture.
- You don’t connect with your why every day. We live in a busy world with lots of information coming at us daily. It’s easy to lose sight of why we have chosen this path.
- You haven’t challenged yourself to think BIGGER. Go beyond yourself. What’s the whole truth?
- You aren’t surrounding yourself with the right people. If you want to be a leader, surround yourself with leaders, people who think different, who think bigger.
- You don’t have a daily mindset practice. You need to get into your head and sort it out, everyday. Challenge yourself to work through resistance and fear.
- You don’t prioritize personal development.
- You’re too focused on the outcome. Step back and check in with your purpose and why you are on this journey.
- You’re not investing in yourself and your dream. Yes, it’s horribly frightening to put your money where your mouth is. Do it anyway.
- You’re not focused in your investments (shiny object syndrome). You must be strategic in how you chose to grow and develop yourself and your business.
- You don’t ask for help. This is the first thing that needs to be done. No shame.
- You aren’t managing yourself like the asset you are. You’re all you have. Take care of you, first.
- You’re not developing customized habits that allow you to perform at a high level. Consistency wins every time. Habits help you stay consistent.
- You’re not leveraging ALL of you. This includes but not limited to your skills, experiences, unique talents, interests, and passions.
If I want success, I know today that all I need to do is review this list regularly and adjust my course where necessary.
What about you? How are you standing in the way of your own success?
- Want to really get a handle on what success looks like for you? Download my FREE Turn Your Dreams Into Plans Workbook.
What’s one thing you can do NOW to get out of your own way to success or to achieve your goals?
Yes –> That’s my Corny Cotter Question!