A creamy, smooth, butternut squash soup with the addition of persimmon! This vegetable soup recipe is paleo, gluten free, vegan, and dairy free. Easy to make in one pot. This is one immunity boosting delicious soup!
- 2 cups peeled and chopped Butternut Squash.
- You will need additional 1 tbsp to 2 tbsp olive oil plus dash of cinnamon and sea salt for roasting.
- 1 tbsp Butter or oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion or 1 small shallot (peeled, chopped)
- 3 medium Fuyu persimmons
- 14–18 oz of vegetable broth (the less broth, the thicker the soup)
- 1 cup coconut milk or non dairy milk of choice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger or cinnamon if you prefer more sweet than spice
- pinch Ground Black pepper
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt and black pepper to season (after blending)
- Optional topping – toasted nuts/seeds, coconut cream to drizzle, and herbs to garnish. Red pepper or spicy sauce for topping
- If you are roasting the squash, then first preheat oven to 400F. Toss squash with 1 tbsp oil, sprinkle of cinnamon (1/4 tsp or more), and sprinkle of sea salt. Place on baking sheet and roast/bake squash for 20-25 minutes . Alternatively (quick version), you can steam your squash in steamer or microwave safe dish with 2 tbsp water until they are a tender.
- While squash is cooking, peel and dice your persimmon.
- Heat a stock pot with butter or naturally refined coconut oil. Sauté onions in oil for 2 minutes until fragrant. Then add in your persimmon and squash. Continue to cook on medium heat, coating the squash and persimmon in the oil/butter and mixing with onions. About 5 minutes.
- Next add in your broth (enough to cover vegetables), milk, spices, and maple syrup. Bring to a quick boil then reduce to low. Cover pot, and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the soup to a high speed blender (or use immersion blender), and blend until creamy and smooth. If soup is too thick, add more milk or broth and blend again.
- Return to pot, and taste. Adjust by adding in any remaining spices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Keep on low until ready to serve.
- Serve and top with a dash of pepper, coconut milk or cream, red pepper, herbs, toasted nuts if you’d like.
- To store – place in sealed container in fridge for up to 1 week or freezer for up to 3 months.
- If you can’t find persimmon, then replace with 1.5 cups diced and peeled sweet potato or pumpkin. Roast with butternut squash. Adjust oil/seasoning.
- For Whole 30 option, omit maple syrup.
- Category: soup
- Method: stove/oven
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: soup, butternut squash, vegan, dairy free, healthy, one pot, paleo