Creamy Persimmon Butternut Squash Soup (Vegan)
- 3 medium Fuyu persimmons
- 2 cups chopped Butternut Squash
- 8 oz of vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp roasted nut butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves or 3 whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger or cinnamon if you prefer more sweet than spice
- Dash of pepper
- Optional – toasted nuts and chili sauce for topping
- First steam your squash in steamer or microwave until they are a little tender. About 60-90 seconds in microwave works.
- Next cut off tops from persimmon. Peel each if desired. I left mine on but it’s up to you for texture.
- Combine persimmon, squash, and broth in a blender until smooth.
- Transfer to a medium size pot and add in your oil, coconut milk, almond butter, and maple syrup.
- Place on medium low and stir until smooth and everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Then add in your spices, stir, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- About 20 minutes into your simmer, the soup with thicken.
- Once it thickens, remove whole cloves (if you are using whole cloves) and place an emersion blender in the pot to blend again and make extra creamy and smooth.
- You can also just blend again or mix with spoon repeatedly.
- Taste and see if the seasoning is too your liking. It should be a little sweet but smokey.
- Serve and top with a dash of pepper, chili sauce, and toasted nuts if you’d like.
To make it more cheesy versus smokey, just add in 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast.