Making green bean casserole vegan and low carb is SO easy! Make this recipe with vegan condensed mushroom soup and gluten free fried onions, either on the stove top, or bake it in the oven for a crispy onion topping.
- 4 shallots or 1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- olive oil or avocado oil for frying, up to 1/4 cup, as needed
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound green beans, stems trimmed
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter or clarified butter (if you can tolerate dairy)
- 10 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms, washed
- 1 3/4 to 2 cups coconut milk or cream (2 cups for a thinner sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- Smoked paprika (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (1 tsp)
- Slurry – 1.5 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch mixed with 1.5 tbsp non dairy milk or water
- Optional toppings: gluten free fried onions or toasted nuts
- Place sliced shallots in a large skillet and cover with oil. Pan-fry the shallots over medium to medium-high heat for 10 minutes, or until brown, stirring as needed to ensure even cooking.
During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add 1 tsp balsamic vinegar to help with caramelization. Transfer onions to a plate. Blot with a paper towel and season with a pinch of sea salt. Set aside.
- To the same pan, add 1/4 to 1/3 cup water or broth. Place green beans in a steamer basket over the water (optional). Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and steam the green beans for 5 to 7 minutes, depending on how tender you like them. Alternatively, you can use frozen green beans and microwave them in the bag. Remove beans from the pot and set aside, then discard oil and water.
- Next, Add butter to the pan and set to medium-high heat. When the butter melts, add the mushrooms and kosher salt. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the coconut milk/cream into the pan with the mushrooms. Add 1/2 tsp onion salt , smoked paprika, garlic, and black pepper. Mix to combine, then bring to a light boil. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium low for the last 5 minutes.
- Prepare your slurry. Mix 1.5 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot with an equal amount of cold water. Add the slurry during the last 2 minutes of cooking, and mix thoroughly. This should help create a thick gravy/condensed mushroom soup consistency.
- When the mushroom sauce is thick and the edges of the pan are brown, add the green beans and toss together. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Place green bean mixture in a casserole dish or use the same oven-safe skillet you started with. Top the casserole with crispy shallots and serve. For extra crispy topping, add Parmesan to the top of the casserole, then place the dish under a broiler set to 500°F, and broil for 2-3 minutes.
- Category: sides
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: green bean casserole, vegan, vegan casserole recipe, gluten free, low carb, dairy free, holiday side dish