Vegan Donuts with Allergy-Friendly Dessert Topping Ideas (Gluten Free)
- 2 cup 2 tbsp (= 2 heaping cup) gluten free 1:1 flour (see notes for grain free option)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of kosher Salt
- Extract – 1 tsp of almond extract or vanilla
- 1/2 c coconut sugar or raw sugar (adjust to your liking)
- 10 –12 ounces (1 1/4 c) of Almond milk or non dairy milk. Start with 10 (1 1/4 c), if your batter is too thick, add 1/4 c or so more milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla and or 1/2 tsp Almond extract
- 1/4 c naturally refined coconut oil, liquid. For richer taste, you may use 1/4 c melted vegan butter.
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. This is to help replace egg in baking and for fluffier texture
- Enjoy Life Foods mini chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips
- Vegan/gluten free chocolate chip cookies or sugar cookies (crumbs).
- Coconut whip frosting mixed with strawberry puree or raspberry for color and taste.
- Unsweetened dutch cocoa powder – to mix with vegan yogurt or coconut whip to create chocolate donut frosting.
- Sparkling cane sugar
- Lavender and/or edible flowers
- Melted vegan dark chocolate to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a donut pan with oil and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine your flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Mix together.
- In another small bowl, combine (mix) together wet ingredients; milk, extracts, oil or butter, lemon juice.
- Combine your wet ingredients with your dry flour mix. Mix until smooth. The batter will be similar to cake batter; not too thick but or thin.
- Place batter in a piping bag or ziplock bag with one corner cut and pipe the batter into the donut pan, filling about 3/4 of the way full. You may also use a spoon if you don’t have a pipping bag or ziplock bag. Be careful not to overfill, as the donuts bake, they will rise just like muffins.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then carefully transfer to a wire rack
- Preparing your toppings while the donuts cool. NOTE —> you do not need to use all these toppings. Mix and match your favorite!
- Place 1/2 cup of your favorite toppings in a medium plate or bowl.
- I made 2 cups of the coconut whip then divided it into 3 bowls to flavor or add color. If you don’t ‘have time to make the coconut whip, feel free to use a pre-made vegan frosting or whip cream!
- Frostings – 1/2 cup coconut whip frosting mixed with 1 tbsp + cocoa powder, 1/2 cup mixed with maple syrup and vanilla, and 1/2 cup blended with 2 -4 tbsp mashed raspberry or strawberry, for color.
- You will need a separate bowl for the chocolate chips, cookie crumbs, and cane sugar. The sliced strawberries and melted dark chocolate can be place in a small cup to top for later.
- Dip the donuts into your favorite frosting and then topping of choice. i.e cookies, chocolate chips, etc. For the strawberries and cream, dip the donut in the vanilla frosting then add sliced strawberries on top. If you’re making the chocolate donuts, dip in the chocolate (cocoa mixed coconut whip) and then the dark chocolate chips. Drizzle melted dark chocolate on top of donut.
- Feel free to sprinkle each donut with sparkling sugar for a more festive look!
- Serve immediately, or within one day for best results. Leftover donuts will keep for 3-4 days at most, covered in fridge. Donuts will keep longer in fridge (up to 5-6 days) if you are not adding topping right away.
- GRAIN FREE OPTION – Replace the gluten free 1:1 flour with 1 1/2 c chickpea flour and 1/2 cup almond flour and 1/4 cup arrowroot starch or potato starch. Baking time is longer, closer to 25 minutes or longer. Check donuts at 15 minutes for progress.
- No donut pan, no prob! You can make these into muffins or little cupcakes!
- Nutrition below based on plain baked donut without frosting/toppings.
- Category: dessert/breakfast
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: donuts, gluten free, dessert, vegan, vegan donuts, allergy friendly, healthy, breakfast pastry