Vegan Chai Spiced Smoothie Bowl recipe with Turmeric and Chia! Packed with healthy fats, anti-inflammatory properties, and full of flavor! This golden smoothie bowl that will leave you feeling nourished and healthy. Gluten free and dairy free goodness!
Howdy Friends! Happy Friday! it’s been a doozy of a week, so I thought we should end it with a little TLC in the form of anti-inflammatory smoothie bowl recipe. Because bowls are more fun and this smoothie bowl recipe is so cozy and soothing, you’ll want to sip on it all morning. I mean spoon with it all morning. Wink Wink.
But really, how many of you can relate to “one of those weeks?” Raises hand, both hands. You know, the long tiring weeks that you just can’t control. Well, whether you’re mentally or physically drained (or both), you need refreshment. I say this to you when in reality I’m preaching to the choir here. Ahem… clearing my throat, placing hand over heart, uttering the words…
“Thou Shalt Listen to My Own Advice.”
The truth is, if I (we) don’t take care and nurture ourselves (especially during times of stress), then we are useless for others. So let’s spend the weekend soaking up some extra rest (if needed) and extra nourishment.
Chai Tea & Spice + Turmeric + Coconut Milk + Chia =
AN EPIC ANTI-INFLAMMATORY SMOOTHIE BOWL RECIPE
You might remember our obsession with Ginger Turmeric Lemonade. Yes, that’s still a favorite in our household, along with Turmeric Tea Lattes. Both recipes provide nutrients to help fight chronic fatigue and oxidation.
The recipe I have for you today is no different. Same medicinal properties, but in smoothie bowl form with a little Omega boost (Chia seed) to thicken.
What you need for an Anti-inflammatory smoothie bowl!
Ingredients and nerdy nutrition facts :
- Turmeric – Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiviral, and is said to be 5x stronger than Vit. C as an immunity booster. It also protects the liver against oxidative stress. Which is probably needed after a night out on the town (if you get my point, haha).
- Chai Tea – Chock full of powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agents. Also helps support digestion after meals with it’s combination of black pepper, ginger, and cinnamon spices. Don’t have Chai Tea available? This works well with just a blend of chai spices. Check out my Chai Detox Bowl Recipe for that mix!
- Coconut Milk or Almond Milk – Dairy free, healthy fat (bonus if you add some coconut oil MCT’s ), satiating.
- Chia Seed – High in Omega 3’s (fatty acids), fiber, high antioxidant profile, and contain a good source of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and manganese.
- Almond Butter – Optional but this does add in a wonderful creamy flavor and extra protein
For this recipe, you will first steep the Chai Tea and the Turmeric together in coconut milk. I used a large french press jar to do this, but feel free to use stove top. Same procedure at turmeric latte, just with chai added.
Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin, a bright yellow chemical, which gives turmeric its golden colour. Curcumin is beneficial for its anti-inflammatory properties.
Now here’s the cool part! When you steep Turmeric with black pepper (used in the chai tea spices), it helps you activate more of the curcumin for your body to absorb and use. WOOHOO ! See, CHAI and TURMERIC are AMAZING!
Now that we understand the nutrition aspect, let’s talk about smoothie bowl recipes. WHY drink a smoothie in a bowl and how?
How to thicken a smoothie for a smoothie bowl!
After you steep the chai and turmeric (and let it cool), you will then you blend it with almond butter, optional frozen banana or gluten free oats, and protein. Add a scoop chia seed, like you would would making a chia pudding or overnight oatmeal, then place the smoothie in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. During that time, the chia seed, banana, and the almond butter will help thicken the smoothie!
Come breakfast time, all you have to do is pour the smoothie into a bowl and enjoy. Edible flowers n ot included haha!
See, look at that smoothie bowl thickness. YASSS!
Vegan Chai Spiced Turmeric Smoothie Bowl recipe with Chia! Packed with healthy fats, anti-inflammatory properties, and full of flavor! An anti-inflammatory smoothie bowl recipe that will leave you feeling nourished and healthy.
- 16 oz coconut or almond drinking milk
- 2 chai tea bags (or see this bowl recipe for homemade chai spices)
- 1–2 tsp turmeric
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 + tbsp chia seed (divided)
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- Optional thickeners –
- 1/4 cup gluten free oats
- 1 large frozen bananas (optional)
- 2–3 Frozen coconut milk cubes or ice cubs (optional, for thickness)
- Optional protein – 1 scoops plant protein powder or collagen.
- First heat your milk on stove top or in microwave. Place chai tea, turmeric, and cinnamon in pot or heat resistant jar and steep for 3-4 minutes. If using stove top, let the milk come to a quick boil then reduce and simmer for 2-3 minutes, 4 minutes all together.
- Remove tea bags and whisk together.
- Pour chai turmeric latte liquid mixture into a blender along with 1 tbsp chia, honey or maple syrup, almond butter, optional oats (omit for paleo option), banana, and protein. Blend together and pour into large jar. Mix in the extra 1 tbsp chia seed (add an extra 1 tbsp if you want a chia pudding like texture). *See notes
- Place jar in fridge to cool and thicken; 1 hour up to overnight.
- Pour smoothie into 2 bowls and top with more cinnamon, and chia or oats (if desired).
- If you desire a smoothie bowl recipe with of more of a chia pudding like texture, then mix in one more 1 tbsp of chia after blending, plus oats or protein powder mentioned, and and let it sit overnight in bowls.
- For Whole 30 option– omit maple syrup and oats.
- Category: brekafast
- Method: blend
- Cuisine: Indian American
Keywords: turmeric, smoothie bowl recipe, smoothies, vegan, paleo, chai tea, anti-inflammatory, healthy
I know what you’re thinking. Ugh, that a lot of waiting for a smoothie. But you know what the best part is? The heavenly smell and golden color! That, alone, will make you feel good and is worth the tiny bit of extra effort!
Can you smell it? Darn, someone please invent a smell through you screen app! 😉
Favorite ingredients to make a smoothie bowl recipe?
Bring on the weekend and all the anti-inflammatory recipes!
p.s Just letting you know this Chai Smoothie Bowl recipe was originally published in 2015. I retested, rephotographed, updated content and URL. Meaning, it’s BETTER THAN EVER for you today! I hope you enjoyed the new nerdy nutrition. 😉 . Thank you for following Cotter Crunch Y’all!.