Hemp protein gives a big health boost to your breakfast in this Vegan Caramel Coffee Protein Chia Pudding! It’s nutrient dense and delicious! I love adding hemp protein to chia pudding and soaking it in coffee and coconut milk. It makes for a nutrient dense breakfast that’s naturally gluten free and delicious!
First of all, Happy Meatless Monday! Second of all… As much as I love hemp protein, it just doesn’t photograph that well, color wise. But I did my best. Now let’s talk about this ugly yet nourishing protein for a minute, mmm k?
When I first tried hemp protein, way back when, it was way too gritty and tasted like dirt. Come on, you know you’ve tasted those kind before, am I right?
But the good thing is, hemp/vegan/primal/dairy protein have come a long way since then, as they should!
The quality of protein and how it is produced is key. The way it reacts to your body is also important. Once you find that, you’re set!
For sure, we like both grass fed whey protein (lactose free) and hemp (pea) or sprouted brown rice protein. But we use them in totally different ways. I find that whey protein is best for post workout or as a bed time snack, when combined with carbohydrates. Both work great to accelerate muscle recovery/regeneration.
Since I am sharing a hemp protein recipe, I might as well get all nerdy and chat about it.
Hemp Protein is different that most plant protein.
- Hemp protein comes from grinding the nutrient-rich seeds of the hemp plant. The seeds contain essential fatty acids, and complete proteins that your body needs.
- Not many other plant proteins contain all the essential amino acids (complete protein), which is why hemp seed protein is so valuable to us (especially vegans).
- It contains a good course of omega fatty acids, iron, and is a great source of fiber.
This is why I (we) love using hemp protein for breakfast and snacking:
It’s great in a nourishing smoothie, or a chia pudding like this vegan caramel coffee chia pudding recipe.
It’s filling, nutrient dense, and it’s a great way to start the day off right!Print
- 6– 8 oz vanilla coconut or almond milk
- 2/3 cup chia seeds (I use ground chia)
- 1 scoop Vanilla or Coffee flavored Hemp Protein (My Mix Nutrition)
- 2 oz brewed coffee or espresso
- 1/4 tsp caramel extract or 1 tbsp Caramel syrup
- Optional Add ins – Banana and honey
- First, blend your protein, coffee, and milk together. Set aside. Pour 1/3 cup chia seed in to 2 bowls. Pour your protein shake mix on top and mix bowls so that chia seeds are evenly blended with protein shake. Pour caramel extract (or syrup if you are using it) into each bowl. Set in fridge for at least 4-6 hrs. I like to do this overnight.
- For extra sweetness and thickness, blend the protein shake with a banana or add in 1 tbsp honey/maple syrup.
- Feel free to top the chia pudding with granola, gluten free cookie, oats, nuts, or instant coffee!
I used the little bit of coffee I had leftover from morning for this. You can also use tea or just stick with milk.
When used as a snack, this combo helps to keep the blood sugar regulated and maintain adrenal health. You all know that’s important to us, for sure!
Sometimes….we use it for late night snack dip with an udis gluten free cookie. Hey, it all evens out, right?
I recently teamed up with My Mix Nutrition as one of their “expert mixers.” Sounds pretty cool, eh?
I created 2 Customized MIXES for them, a vegan a and a whey. You can read all about it here!
The Vegan Protein (which I call Plant Power) consists of Organic hemp protein as well as B12 and probiotics. See below!
How’s that for a PERFECT plant protein mix?! Everything you need in one scoop! And delish (not lying)!
I hope to share more recipes with my PLANT POWER and ReENDURE whey protein powders, but for now, try this protein packed chia pudding for your next breakfast! And while you’re eating it, check out the new My Mix site. You can even create your own!
Have you tried Hemp Protein? What’s your favorite way to use it if so?
*Just so you know, there are affiliate links in this post. I am part of the My Mix Nutrition Team, and I believe in their company and product. In fact, I’ve been using them for over a year! All thoughts and opinion are my own. The darn truth. Always!