This Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup is made in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop for a quick, kid-friendly, comfort food dinner recipe full of veggies!
Quick Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 260 grams (2 cups) cauliflower florets, cooked
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (for color)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon potato starch or cornstarch
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
For the Pot:
- 20 ounces (1-8 cups) broccoli florets, diced and shredded
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or dairy free ghee/butter
- 2/3 cup white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups vegan cheese sauce (above)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk or cream (other unsweetened non-dairy cream may be substituted * see notes )
- Slurry – 1 Tablespoon potato starch or cornstarch + 2 Tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup regular or dairy free shredded cheese (optional)
For the Sauce –
- Steam the carrot and cauliflower on the stovetop or in the microwave until tender. If using a microwave, place the vegetables in a microwave-safe dish with 2 Tablespoons of water. Microwave for 6 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the vegetables to a blender. Add all remaining ingredients including the spices, starch, nutritional yeast, and broth. Cover and blend, starting on low and increasing the blender speed until it reaches the highest setting.
- Blend until the sauce is completely smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
For the Pot –
- Dice the broccoli in a food processor, pulsing 10 times. Set aside. (See notes)
- Add the oil, onion, and garlic to the Instant Pot. Sauté for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the broccoli and broth. Stir to combine.
- Close the lid, and lock. Make sure the pressure release vent is closed.Manually pressure cook for 1 minute. Then, natural release.
- Once the natural release has unlocked, remove the lid and stir in the remaining ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the lid back on the pot, and keep warm for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Add optional shredded cheese before serving.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Make the cheese sauce as listed above. Dice the broccoli in a food processor, pulsing 10 times. Set aside. Add the oil, onion, and garlic to a large pot, sauté for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the broccoli and broth. Stir to combine.
- Place a lid on the pot, and simmer for 8-15 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer on low for 10 minutes or until the soup has thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix in shredded cheese, if using, letting it melt for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley if desired.
*No food processor? Dice the broccoli by hand into small pieces.
Non-dairy cream or full fat/lite canned coconut milk works best. Using a non-dairy drinking milk will produce a less rich flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 693.5 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.4 g
- Fiber: 8.1 g
- Protein: 8.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, instant pot, broccoli cheese soup, soup, comfort food, dairy free, kid friendly, dinner