This yeast bread recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free, too. Similar to a rustic Italian or French bread loaf in taste and appearance but you can make a simple sandwich bread loaf as well. Very versatile!
*Updated 5/3/2020 – See notes for previous versions
- 2/3 cup warm water 95-105F for proofing
- 3 tsp sugar or honey
- 3 tsp dry active yeast
- 3 cups Bob’s Redmill gluten free all-purpose flour (does not contain xanthan gum or other gums) * see notes for tips
- 1 TBSP baking powder (make sure it’s not expired)
- 3 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp fine kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 c to 2/3 cup warm water (extra as needed) *Note* Adjust water usage depending on flour. You want the consistency to be somewhat sticky but not runny. The more water you, the softer the bread.
Before you begin – Important notes.
- Proof yeast. Place active dry yeast in 2/3 c warm water (95-105 F) and mix with sugar. Let is sit for 5 minutes. If it bubbles, it’s active. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl, whisk/sift together your dry ingredients. Add the yeast mixture together with dry ingredients, then add the oil and vinegar. Mix well, then add 1/2 c of warm water until you get soft sticky dough, similar to pizza dough. If the dough seems too dry (depending on the kind of flour you’re using), mix in any extra water only as needed (2 tbsp – 1/3 c should be enough ).
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes in the stand mixer with a dough hook.
- If your dough is sticky, that’s ok! Place the dough straight into a parchment lined bread pan – 8×4 or 9×5 pan. Spread dough in pan with wet hands.
- Cover pan with cotton towel and place in a warm place until doubled in size. The dough usually takes 70 minutes to 90 minutes to rise. Longer if your environment is cold or too dry. See notes for tips!
- After dough has risen, gently score the top with serrated knife, dust with flour, then bake at 350° preheated oven for 35 to 50 minutes (internal temperature needs to reach 210-212). Brushing with 1 TBSP melted vegan butter 10 minutes before done (optional).
- Let bread cool on counter for 10 minutes to 15 minutes before slicing into it. This bread is freezer friendly!
Tips for vegan gluten free yeast bread and baking!
- I used a stand mixer to whisk and mix all the ingredients.
- GLUTEN FREE FLOUR RECOMMENDATION- It’s best to use an all purpose gluten free flour without any thickeners (i.e xanthan gum or guar gum) because you will adding that in.
- Take into mind that each brand of AP gluten free flour will bake different. Play with ingredients! Note – the 1:1 gluten free flours do not work
- To Braid Bread – Let the dough rise in a bowl, then once it has risen, lightly flour a clean well-floured surface and divide dough into two logs, then twist together to braid. Place this into lined pan and bake. Note, this is optional and texture will vary once baked.
- For those looking for the original vegan bread with oat flour, here is PDF to print if off
- Category: bread
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan bread, gluten free bread, homemade, healthy, yeast bread, easy homemade bread, gluten free, vegan