This yeast bread recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free, too. Similar to a rustic Italian or French bread loaf in taste and appearance but you can make a simple sandwich bread loaf as well. Very versatile!
*Updated 5/3/2020 – See notes for previous versions
- 2/3 cup warm water (95F to 105F for proofing)
- 3 teaspoons sugar or honey
- 3 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 3 cups Bob’s Redmill gluten free all-purpose flour (does not contain xanthan gum or other gums) * see notes for tips
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder (make sure it’s not expired)
- 3 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup warm water + extra as needed *Note* Adjust water amount depending on flour. The consistency should be somewhat sticky but not runny. The more water, the softer the bread.
- Proof Yeast – Place active dry yeast in 2/3 cup warm water (95F -105F) and mix with sugar. Let it sit for 5 minutes. It should start to bubble. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl, whisk/sift together the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Add the yeast mixture, oil and vinegar to the dry ingredients and mix well. Add 1/2 cup warm water until a soft sticky dough forms, similar to pizza dough. If the dough seems too dry (depending on the brand of flour), mix in extra water only as needed (2 Tablespoons to 1/3 cup should be enough).
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes in the stand mixer with a dough hook.
- If the dough is sticky, that’s ok! Place the dough straight into a parchment lined 8×4 or 9×5 bread pan. Spread dough in the pan with wet hands.
- Cover the pan with a cotton towel and place in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size or about 70 to 90 minutes. It may take longer if the environment is cold or too dry. (See notes for tips.)
- After the dough has risen, gently score the top with a serrated knife, dust with flour and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 35 to 55 minutes (internal temperature needs to reach 210F to 212F). If desired, brush the loaf with 1 Tablespoon melted vegan butter 10 minutes before done.
- Let bread cool on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing it.
- Store in an airtight container on the countertop for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Baking Tips – Use a stand mixer to whisk and mix all the ingredients.
Gluten Free Flour – It’s best to use an all-purpose gluten free flour without any thickeners (xanthan gum or guar gum) as we want to control the amount by adding it separately to the recipe. Each brand of all-purpose gluten free flour will bake different. Play with ingredients! 1:1 gluten free flours do not work in this recipe.
Braided Bread – Let the dough rise in a bowl, then once it has risen, lightly flour a clean surface and divide dough into two logs, then twist together to braid. Place this bread bread into a parchment lined 8×4 or 9×5 bread pan and bake. Note, this is optional and texture will vary once baked.
Original Recipe – For those looking for the original vegan bread with oat flour, here is PDF to print if off
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: bread
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 369 mg
- Fat: 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.1 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan bread, gluten free bread, homemade, healthy, yeast bread, easy homemade bread, gluten free, vegan