This yeast bread recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free, too. Similar to a rustic Italian or French bread loaf in taste and appearance but you can make a simple sandwich bread loaf as well. Very versatile!
- 1/4 cup warm water 95-105F or almond milk for proofing
- 1 tsp raw sugar or honey
- 1 TBSP dry active yeast
- 1 cup non dairy milk at room temp
- 2 cup gluten free all-purpose flour (see notes for tips with all purpose GF flour)
- 1 1/2 c oat flour (see notes for substitutes)
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1 TBSP xanthan gum (if your all purpose flour has xanthan gum included, you may reduce the amount 2 tsp or so)
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar or Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 Tsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1/3 cup to ½ cup of room temperature water as needed
- Optional mix in and/or sweeteners – 1/4 c maple syrup or honey, poppy seeds, caraway seed, dried fruit, herbs, garlic, or even pineapple juice to make it hawaiian style, etc.
Before you begin – Important notes. If your All purpose gluten free flour does not have xanthan gum be sure to add in at least one tablespoon. It will really help with giving the bread texture and softness. You may use 3 1/2 cup of gluten free all purpose flour but the texture will be a tad different and a bit more dense.
- Proof yeast. Place 1 tbsp active dry yeast in 1/4 cup water (95-105 F) and mix with 1 tsp sugar. Let is sit for 5 minutes. If it bubbles, it’s active. Set aside until ready to use.
- Place the yeast mixture together with remaining ingredients in a bowl of your food processor or mixer. Mix well until you get soft sticky dough, similar to pizza dough. If the dough seems too dry (depending on the kind of flour you’re using), add a 1/3 c to 1/2 c bit more of room temperature milk or water. If it is too soft, add just a little bit of flour.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes in the stand mixer with a dough hook (you may also do this by hands with floured hands to prevent from sticking). Then cover the dough and refrigerated for 30 minutes.
- Next, lightly flour a clean well-floured surface and knead the dough a little more, shaping into a loaf or ball. Once done kneading, form dough into a ball and place in a large bowl coated with about 1 tablespoon oil, turning the dough over to coat with oil. Cover with cotton towel and place in oven with light on (oven is off) and allow the dough to rise for 70 minutes to 90 minutes or until doubled in size. See notes for tips!
- After dough has risen, roll the dough a couple times on a floured surface, shaping it into a loaf or or divided into two 8 inch logs and twist together. (This is optional but I what I did)
- Place dough in a parchment lined bread pan – 8×4 or 9×5 .Score the top with serrated knife, dust with flour, then place bake in 350° preheated oven for 35 minutes, brushing with 1 TBSP melted vegan butter 10 minutes before done.
- Let bread cool on counter for 10 minutes to 15 minutes before slicing into it. This bread is freezer friendly!
Tips for vegan gluten free yeast bread and baking!
- For helping dough rise –> preheat the oven at 400 for ONE minute and turn it off. Place rising dough bowl in and raise till doubled. Then follow from there directions to raise again and bake..
- Tip for handling sticky dough (Thanks Sarena) – Chilling dough for a bit and then using wet hands makes handling it a bit easier for kneading and saves hassle of kneading sticky dough.
- If your All purpose gluten free flour does not have xanthan gum be sure to add in at least one tablespoon. It will really help with giving the bread texture and softness.
- If you don’t have Oat flour, you make use 3 1/2 cup of all purpose flour but the texture will be a tad different and a bit more dense. Adjust baking time if needed.
- Category: bread
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan bread, gluten free bread, homemade, healthy, yeast bread, easy homemade bread, gluten free, vegan