Anyone still watch the Weekend Update on SNL? Gosh how I loved it when Tina Fey was on there. Now a days, I can’t even stay up that late, ha. Grandma Cotter has definitely set in.
Anyway, its rainy, dreary, and semi chilly here. Not that I am complaining (working on that goal). Gave me a chance to play around in the kitchen and catch up over coffee with some of my favorite people. Like this amazing woman!
Dorry, I miss you already. You were the highlight of my weekend! Sorry hubs, she got you beat this time, hehe. Please come back to Austin soon. We still need to get in a run together.
After some good ‘ol coffee talk, I resorted back to the kitchen. It was time for a challenge. Since leaving Hawaii, the hubs and I have sure missed the homemade Mochi. We used to get the best buttery mochi while living on the island so today I thought I might give the recipe a go.
I bought these at Whole Foods in case I had a total flop in the kitchen!
And I bought this in order to make the real deal. You usually can find this at Asian markets, etc.
I followed a recipe from this favorite Hawaiian Blog but made a few substitutions.
BUTTERY MOCHI MADNESS
1 box of Mochiko sweet rice flour (you could probably use any other rice flour or brown rice flour too)
1 ½ cup brown sugar (I used turbinado sugar)
1 can coconut milk
¾ cup milk (you can use almond/soy milk)
8 oz. butter (or earth balance if you want vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt butter and set aside
- Mix flour and sugar together
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, milk, coconut milk and butter together
- Pour into a 9 x 13 inch pan or baking dish
- Place on middle rack in the oven
- Bake for 50-60 minutes
- Let cool in oven for 30 minutes more then cut into squares.
- You could also try adding baking powder if you want more volume. Refrigerate after awards to store.
So how did mine turn out? Well…..good, just not photo worthy. So instead I took pictures of the cut and bake mochi. Hey, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.
I topped it with melted almond butter, cinnamon, and honey. Like a warm gooey pastry I tell ya! Best mid morning snack to go along with a cozy weekend.
- 3:53 She Ain’t Got… (Dave Audé Radio Edit) –… LeToya
- 4:04 My Body – Single Young the Giant
- 3:40 What the Hell – Single Avril Lavigne
- 3:58 Til I Forget About You – Single Big Time Rush
- 3:33 White Horse (The Remixes) – EP Sarah McLeod
- 4:23 The ArchAndroid (Deluxe) Janelle Monáe
- 2:59 Burlesque (show me your burlesque) Christina Aguilera
- 3:50 Hold It Against Me – Single Britney Spears
- 2:57 Fashion (Made Famous by Lady GaGa)
- 4:41 Hello (Single Edit) – Single Martin Solveig & Dragonette
- 2:50 Medicine (Radio Mix) – EP Kim Leoni
- 3:53 Hold You (Hold Yuh) Hold You – Single Gyptian
- 7:15Feelin (District One’s Feelin’ Techno Remix)
- 4:33 Trinity – Single Paper Tongues
- 3:03 Hurtful – Single Erik Hassle
The hubs has yet to cut his hair and I’ve got the pics to prove it! Lets just say its WILD!