This delicious cauliflower casserole is packed with nutrient-rich veggies, protein from organic eggs, cheesy goodness and loads of spicy Tex-Mex flavors. It’s an easy meal prep idea for breakfast, brunch, or light dinner. Best of all, it’s gluten free, low carb/keto, and kid-friendly, too.
- 4–5 cups riced cauliflower (1 large head). If you need instructions on how to rice cauliflower see see this post.
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning or Mexican spices
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced into strips (see notes for alternatives)
- 4 to 5 large Eggland’s Best Organic Eggs plus 1/2 cup liquid egg whites (or 6 –7 whole eggs, whisked)
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup enchilada sauce or hot sauce
- 8 oz shredded mexican blend or cheddar cheese, plus extra to grate on top.
- Kosher salt/pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro, to garnish
Make Ahead Option in notes
- Preheat oven to 400 F and oil a 12×8 casserole dish/meal prep container. If meal prepping without baking, skip preheat.
- Rice your cauliflower or use ready-to-use cauliflower rice. Toss with mexican spices or taco seasoning then spoon into an even layer on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Next press (with paper towel) any extra water from the zucchini strips. Layer the zucchini strips on top.
- Whisk your eggs, egg whites, and hot sauce or enchilada sauce together. Pour on top of the zucchini. If you end up needing more liquid to cover the dish, whisk together one extra egg and 1/4 to 1/3 c milk of choice. Pour over casserole
- Layer your shredded cheese on top of the casserole.
- Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Check progress at 20 minutes. If the edges are starting to brown quicker than the middle is cooking, then cover with foil and continue cooking until evenly cooked. Broil last minute for extra crispy cheese!
- Seasoning with salt/pepper, hot sauce, and/or cilantro before serving. Extra cheese is optional.
Meal Prep/Make Ahead Tips! For meal prep, allow to cool before freezing. (Keeps well in freezer for up to 3 months). Alternatively, you can also SKIP BAKING and just store prepped casserole in fridge, covered, until until ready to bake. Store in fridge for up to 5 days.
- Oven safe meal prep casserole dish I used.
- Feel free to use other vegetables instead of zucchini; yellow squash, eggplant, tomato,etc.
Dairy Free Option: Hummus sauce to replace cheese on top – 1 c hummus, 1/4c oil, garlic and spices or mix in of choice. Ex – red pepper, taco seasoning, etc. Combine on stove or microwave until melted and mixed.
- Category: breakfast/dinner
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: mexican american
Keywords: cheese, casserole, keto, low carb, meal prep, mexican, healthy, eggs