A spiked hot chocolate cocktail is rich and creamy, with spicy heat! Easy to make in a crockpot, make this recipe with or without alcohol.
- 5 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 1/2 cups coconut cream or canned coconut milk (water on top discarded)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces baking dark chocolate or semi sweet chocolate (dairy free if needed), chopped
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 to 1 tsp chili powder* (see notes)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup agave or maple syrup* (see notes)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup tequila gold
- 1/3 cup chocolate liquor (non alcoholic) or dark chocolate liqueur (with alcohol)
- Toasted marshmallows- these are my favorite vegan marshmallows, or make my homemade marshmallows
- Place all ingredients except for the tequila, chocolate liqueur, and toppings into a slow cooker. Whisk to get the cocoa powder as mixed in as possible.
- Cook on high setting for 1 hour, stirring often. After 1 hour, remove cinnamon sticks, stir, then cook on low setting for another 1 or 2 hours, or until chocolate melts completely.
- Stir in the tequila gold (if desired) and chocolate liqueur, then turn slow cooker down to “warm”.
- Serve with toasted vegan marshmallows on top.
- For additional spiciness, substitute all chili powder for a 50-50 blend of chili powder and cayenne pepper.
- Chocolate chips can be replaced with a baking chocolate bar, but you will have to stir it often to prevent it from burning. Bars, diced into pieces work best.
- Agave may be replaced with 1/2 to 2/3 cup sweetened vegan condensed milk for extra creaminess.
- Category: drinks
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup with alchohol
- Calories: 317
- Sugar: 14.7 g
- Sodium: 133.9 mg
- Fat: 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.3 g
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0.3 mg
Keywords: spiked hot chocolate, hot chocolate cocktail, Mexican hot chocolate, dairy free, vegan, gluten free, cocktails, mocktails