Spicy Spinach Caesar salad with Shrimp (Paleo and Low Carb Option)
For the dressing:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tbsp spicy mustard
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt or kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1/2 to 1 tsp anchovy paste. (Add a pinch of salt or 2 tsp capers mashed with garlic if you don’t have anchovy paste)
- 1–2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
For spicy shrimp:
- 6–8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Pinch of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp pure olive oil or butter
- Pinch of Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- Dash of ground pepper
For the Salad:
- 6 cups fresh spinach (leaves) or greens of choice.
- 1 small Cucumber – thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot – thinly sliced or ribbon cut
- 1/2 small avocado, sliced.
- 2 bell peppers – sliced thin
- 2–3 tbsp roasted almonds
- Optional sprouts or fresh herbs to garnish
- Optional shaved parmesan to garnish (Omit if paleo)
- Optional Gluten Free Croutons – see notes – (omit for paleo option)
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- While oven is preheating, make your caesar salad dressing.
Whisk together all your ingredients in a small bowl. Salt/pepper to taste. Adjust if needed. If too salt, add a tsp of honey or maple syrup. Set aside or keep in fridge.
- Next bake your spicy shrimp. Toss your clean/peeled shrimp in olive oil and spices. Lay flat on cooking/baking sheet.
- Bake/roast for 4-5 minutes on each side; turning once, 3 to 4 minutes. So about 8-10 minutes all together or until shrimp are browned and opaque throughout.
Remove from oven.
- Place spinach, thinly cut vegetables, optional croutons, and shrimp in 1 serving bowl or two small bowls. Add a few tbsp of roasted almonds on top along with herbs/sprouts to garnish.
- Drizzle with spicy Caesar dressing. Sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional shaved parmesan to finish.
- For paleo option, omit croutons and cheese.
- You will have extra dressing, so feel to keep the rest for later use. Store in fridge for up to 3 days. Nutrition for Spicy Caesar salad Dressing ~ 130 calories and 5 grams of fat per serving of 1.5 tbsp to 2 tbsps.
Homemade Gluten Free Croutons (omit for paleo option):
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread (no sugar added)
- 1 tsp oil (olive or avocado oil)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Toss your bread crumbs in garlic and oil, and place on baking sheet. Toast for about 5 minutes.
Arrange your salad.
- Category: main, salads
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: half full size salad without croutons
Keywords: shrimp caesar salad, spicy, gluten free, Paleo