No I’m not actually at the spa. But I sure wish I was. You see, the hubs is coming home today. Yes, he’s been gone for almost a week now. I didn’t say anything cause that might be silly. I mean, to verbally announce I am at home by myself. Ya know? LOL.
Anyway, he was in Kona for the Ironman world champs. A few of his athletes were racing and he also needed to catch up with a few sponsors. I so wish I could have gone but I had to stay here and take care of our “Cotter” work. He owes me big. Just kidding. But really, I am so happy he was able to go. That’s our old stompin’ ground and it’s always nice to get back there. Plus watching IRONMAN KONA is like watching the superbowl for triathletes, except it’s an 18 hour day versus a 5hr day.
So, while he was gone, I worked my little booty off. Okay, so it’s not so little anymore but you get my drift. Today I am wiped. I needed a day to do my “thang.” Or at least part of a day to my own “thang.”
Yesterday I decided to pamper myself a wee bit. Now, pampering to me is different than most women. I don’t like to sit around. Yes, crazy cotter here. I like to treat myself to 2 kombuchas (exciting, I know), do a little retail shopping at Old Navy or Target, and maybe even take a bath. Whoa! And if I’m really pampering, I’ll wash my hair. LOL!
Wait, there should be wine in there too. Yes, and drink a glass of my favorite wine with dinner. You betcha!
Pampering to me means just doing whatever I darn well please, no plans. I’m good at that too. It’s pretty….. MARVELOUS!
In fact, I busted open my KLUTCH box from September to help me do just that. Love last month’s theme too. A SPA box! Oh perfecto! I love that each month is a different theme. Keeps me on my toes and I like that I get a care package (that I sent to myself) each month.
I think my favorite thing in this box was the lip gloss and Zenify drink. Delicious!
Another thing I like to do when I get a day to treat myself is actually utilize all my “special” ingredients I have in the pantry. A few weeks ago I purchased some kelp powder. I’ve used it a bit here and there but last night I whipped some up with avocado and served it on side of some eggs and toast. Good stuff! Really, don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.
So why Kelp?
I’ll tell you why. It’s one of those nutrients that does more than just nourish. It balances, it restores, it replenishes, it revitalizes. Too much is bad and too little is bad, so always start off in small doses. Use it a tbsp. each day for a week, then back off for a week, repeat. Get it? It’ full of minerals which help the build the immune system and balance the thyroid.
Here’s a little snippet about Kelp.
Kelp has a salty taste and is used by many people in place of salt. It has a high content of natural plant iodine, which is absorbed much more slowly and therefore more safely, than chemical iodine. Iodine is necessary for proper function of the thyroid, which is essential for proper growth, energy, and metabolism.
- Abounds in calcium, chlorine, potassium, magnesium, and other mineral including trace minerals.
- Good for nails and hair loss.
- Regulates the thyroid and pituitary glands (activates all glands of body).
- Helps to regulate body temperature; aids in chronic low body temperature.
- Good for pancreas and adrenals.
- Helps male and females organs, good for prostate.
- Builds cell membrane.
- Aids function of digestive and endocrine systems.
- Helps to prevent growth of tumors.
- Cleanse the body of radiation.
- Acts as an antibiotic; assists the thyroid in releasing iodine into the blood stream when infection is present. Iodine fights infection. Helps prevent disease.
I started using it a while back in order to restore my magnesium which was lost due to digestive problems and malabsorption. Also helps remover toxins from the bowel. These days I use it more for immunity and to fight infection. I think everyone will respond to it differently though.
Here are some ways to use kelp.
- blend in smoothies, yogurt, or in baking.
- mix into rice, noodles, etc..
- I like to mix mine into nut butter sometimes. Kind of like an algae peanut butter or coconut butter.
- stir into oats as a salty fix, then add in honey and banana/raisin. Great for post workout too!
- Toss onto salads or into soups.
Okie Dokie, I’m all “knowledge” out for a Monday. And I must go pick up the hubs from the airport! WOOHOO!!!
How do you pamper yourself these days?
two more days till the Healthy Bites winners are picked. Enter the giveaway!
Did you hear Blend Retreat? Oh yes, big news! Go here to find out the location this year!