This gluten-free fried avocado toast recipe makes a healthy lunch or snack. You can cook and smash beets yourself, but if you’re in a hurry, use canned organic beets. SO easy!
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 egg
- butter or coconut oil (1 tbsp)
- 1 avocado (underripe works best)
- 3/4 cup cooked beets, mashed
- 4 slices of gluten-free toast
- sea salt/pepper to taste
For the ONION AIOLI:
- 1 shallot or 1/4 cup sweet onion chopped
- 1/3 cup cold olive oil
- 1 egg yolk (room temp), or 2 tbsp mayo
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp cold water
For the Fried Avocado Toast
- Remove the skin and core from the avocados and cut each into even slices/wedges. Place the coconut flour, almond flour and egg into three different bowls.
- Dip each wedge in coconut flour, then in the whisked egg, and then last the almond meal/flour.
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter or oil in a large cast iron or frying pan over medium heat. Add your avocado wedges in and gently fry cook until they are browned and crispy both sides. A few minutes of each. Feel free to working batches. Remove and place on plate.
- Toast your bread and place on plate.
- In a small bowl, smash your cooked beets with a fork. If you are using canned beets, then drain extra juice first and after smashing.
- season with sea salt/pepper to your liking.
For the Onion Aioli
- Add egg yolk and chopped onion to the bowl of a food processor. Blend on low. Keep it running on low then SLOWLY add in cold oil. If you pour too quickly, the aioli will not emulsify properly.
- Add vinegar, mustard, and spices and blend. If it’s too thick, add a 1/2 tbsp of cold water.
- If you don’t want to use a raw egg, substitute 1-2 tbsp mayo.
- Place 1/4 cup mashed beets on toast. Add a few slices of fried avocado, then drizzle aioli on top! REPEAT and enjoy!
- Store the leftover aioli in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- If you don’t want to use raw egg, replace with 2 tbsp mayo.
Nutrition per slice varies depending on the brand and type of bread used. We use Udi’s Gluten Free which is 80 calories per slice. Paleo Bread is usually around 80-120 calories per slice
- Category: breakfast
- Method: fry
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 307
- Sugar: 3.8g
- Sodium: 290.6mg
- Fat: 23.7g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 17.8g
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Cholesterol: 100.2mg
Keywords: avocado toast, gluten-free breakfast, fried avocado