Just call me Sherpa Wife. Yep, that’s been me the past week and I have no complaints. I like being a Sherpa.
What exactly is a Sherpa? Glad you asked… I mean I asked.
I like to think I was born for that role. In fact, before the hubs I were married, I promised to be his Sherpa while we pursued his triathlon career. It’s a role that most fitness enthusiast avoid, well most of the time. Why? Because it means your training is less important than the person you are “sherpaing” for.
But you see, I am quite lucky. The hubs is my Sherpa in MANY OTHER WAYS! I may be his go-to Sherpa during this crucial time of training, but he’s my Sherpa in life. Always there to guide me through rough terrain, tough climbs, obstacles, etc. And I’d say he does a pretty damn good job!
So my Sherpa skills may be more physical, but his are much more emotional. It balances us out, making us a good TEAM. Or so I like to think.
My Sherpa week consisted of:
- making sure the fridge was stocked for quick recovery meals.
- think eggs, boiled potatoes, homemade GF muffins (recipe coming), GF oats, chocolate milk, ham/lamb roast, mince meat pies, etc..
- carrying a back pack full of snacks, hydration, & emergency TP on the port hills hike so the hubs could get in a few long runs.
- Hubs teaching me how to drive a stick shift on the left side of road while driving on the right side of the car (weird!!). This is in case I need to come rescue him on the bike.
- Hand-washing all the workout gear so that its ready for next days’ training. Okay so I didn’t do this, but I did watch my mother in law do it. She’s a master, I dare not touch the masters skills. ha-ha.
- And lastly, my Sherpa week meant I was there, just being a friend, asking how the workout/run/bike/swim went. Ya know? Who doesn’t love that?!
You might be thinking, that’s a blah job. But really, it’s not. It’s an important part of the “team”. In fact, it’s almost as crucial as the real training/racing itself, at least I like to think that. And, i seem to keep myself quite entertained while doing so. hehe.
Do you have a Sherpa or are you the Sherpa yourself?
I hope you get to play both roles!
I thoroughly enjoyed being a fly on the wall this week. Regular blogging “might” commence back up come Monday/Tuesday.