This creamy roasted cauliflower soup is made with a hefty dose of fennel for bone density, anti-inflammatory properties, and gut health. This vegan cauliflower soup is also gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and low carb.
- 1 lb cauliflower (small 1 head) or 1 lb florets
- 1 fennel bulb/ sliced
- 2 –3 tbsp olive oil (extra to garnish)
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Smoked paprika or regular paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 8 to 10 ounces almond or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (or clarified butter/ghee if not vegan)
- Thyme sprigs (extra for garnishing)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch or tapioca starch
- 3–4 tbsp Nutritional yeast. (see notes for substitutes)
- Optional non dairy cream or coconut cream to top.
- Sea Salt/peppercorns to garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F. Cut cauliflower into pieces or florets.
- Slice off the stem of the fennel and cut lengthwise into sections.
- Toss cauliflower and fennel is 2 to 2.5 tbsp olive oil, balsamic, and spices and spread out evenly on baking sheet.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, turning over veggies halfway. Remove from oven and carefully place all ingredients into a blender. If you don’t have a blender, set aside and see notes.
- Add 1 pint of vegetable broth to blender (3 cups) and blend until combined. Next add in your 8 ounces of almond or coconut milk and blend again until you get a creamy base. The more milk you add, the thinner the soup base will be. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot place a few sprigs thyme, garlic, butter, and sauté for 3 minutes on medium.
- Next add your roasted cauliflower fennel soup mix to the pot the butter and garlic.. Scrape the blender with a spatula to get everything out. Add a dash more salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce and then slowly mix in 1 tbsp arrowroot starch, whisking while you add.
- Lastly, mix in nutritional yeast (3-4 tbsp) and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with thyme and oregano on top to garnish
- Optional: drizzle olive oil and non dairy milk or coconut cream. Salt and peppercorns to garnish.
- If you don’t have nutritional yeast and can handle dairy, Parmesan can be substituted, but it will not have the same health benefits. And if you don’t have arrowroot starch, potato starch or tapioca starch may be used.
- If you don’t have a blender, you can use an immersion blender. I recommended adding the ingredients into pot, after the cauliflower/fennel is roasted, little by little and blending with immersion blender. The starch will be added last before you boil again.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 4.3 g
- Sodium: 586.7 mg
- Fat: 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.4 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 7.6 mg
Keywords: soup, creamy soup, vegan soup, cauliflower, roasted vegetables, paleo, low carb, dinner, dairy free