Gluten Free Zucchini Fish Cakes with chickpea
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained (could also use cashews or walnuts if you can do beans)
- 1/8 cup of olive oil for mixing
- 3 cups (or around 12- 14 oz) of cooked fish that’s chopped (Haddock, Salmon, or Cod)
- 1–2 large zucchini, grated or chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 handful of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp of chili pepper flakes
- lemon juice (optional)
- gluten free flour and almond meal coating
- oil or butter for frying
- plain or red pepper hummus for topping
- Place chickpeas in a blender or food processor and add in your 1/8 cup of your olive oil. Mix or puree until mixture is some what smooth. Then pour into a bowl. chickpeas.
- Next, add in your cooked fish, chopped zucchini and veggies, and other spices/herbs. Mix well with hands.
- Roll the mixture into small patties and on a dish in the fridge. They will need to stay in there for about 30 minutes. This is because there are no eggs in the mix so patties/cakes need longer to set.
- Remove patties from fridge and then coat the outsides with both gluten free flour and a little bit of almond meal. You can use bread crumbs if you don’t have almond meal.
- Heat your skillet and add a little oil for frying (about 1 tablespoon) then fry cakes on both sides till they brown. If they seem moist, then pat them with a paper towel and then fry a little long or bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes more.
- Place on bed of salad, add a little bit of lemon juice (if desired) and then top with hummus.
- Serves around 2-4