Eating enough Super Foods and recovery food/REFUEL are still key! Especially for the Kiwi since he’ll be heading into a big training block next week. This block of will set him up for all his end of May/June races. The BIG races! Needless to say, this week I’ve been having fun in the kitchen.
We’re focusing on nutrient dense and grain free meals (80% of the time), just until heavy training again. Then I’ll be adding gluten free oats, udis bread, and white or wild rice back into our meals. This rotation has been working well for the Kiwi. Grain Free eating helps him (us) absorb more nutrients and decreases any inflammation that might be in the gut. And when I say nutrient dense, I’m referring too healthy fats, omegas, and SUPER FOODS! Luckily we have Barleans to help us out with those nutrients.
Yes, I use all of them, and for different reasons.
- The Coconut Oil is usually added to shakes and in our coffee. Coconut oil contains healthy fats and great for energy and metabolism.
- We use two types of Barleans Omegas. We use the Vegan omega swirls in smoothies and baking. I love the vegan one because they use an algae oil. And the fish oil Omega swirl to go is what we use well… on the go. Both contain EHA /DHA which is key for brain health. We like to get our nutrients from different sources, hence the reason we switch off between the omega fish oil and the plant based omega oil. I also like that the Algae oil contains Astaxangthin, which is a powerful anti-oxident.
- The greens are great for added nutrients when you need that “extra.” And we always need extra with the amount of training we do. More so for the kiwi. And speaking of Kiwi.. We’re in love with the new SUPER FRUIT Strawberry Kiwi greens. Such great taste! Another main reasons we love the new Super Fruit Greens is because it contains beet powder (good for endurance) and an MEGA ORAC antioxidant blend! All dairy and soy free.
- Barlean’s New Product, FLAX, CHIA, COCONUT, is great for baking grain free and adding more protein/omegas to your yogurt, etc. See recipe below.
1 scoop Super fruit Greens Powder
1/2 cup Coconut Chia Flax Blend (or grain free flour like)
2 scoops (about 60 grams) protein Powder (I use Vanilla Rice Protein from Growing Naturals)
1/2 cup egg whites
1 tbsp coconut or almond milk (or other milk of choice)
1 tbsp organic gelatin (optional) -Gelatin is great for joints and gut health
Coconut oil/butter and molasses for topping
1/4 tsp vanilla or cherry extract
I also added in 1 tbsp berry omegas swirls to give it more berry flavor.
Optional – Stevia drops for more sweetness (about 10).
First add your egg whites to a bowl. Beat until fluffy. Then slowly add in your dry ingredients and the extra whole egg. Beat again on low. Keep beating on low until you’ve added in all your ingredients and the batter is smooth. If you are using just coconut flour, you might have to add more milk. Pour batter in an greased pie pan and bake at 375F for 12-14 minutes. The batter is thin so be sure it doesn’t overcook. Remove from oven and let cool. Next, mix together softened coconut butter and a little bit of vanilla or cherry extract. Spread over the bread and then drizzle with molasses or honey. Makes 6 slices. [/print_this]
Note to Vegans—> feel free to try the flax egg here too. It might work with agar agar (a vegan gelatin).
Think Pink, Eat SUPER! Favorite Pink Super Food?
Okay, nutrition overload. Hope you made it through the post. 😉
- Instagram –LCCotter
- Pinterest– LCCotter
- Email- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bloglovin-Cotter Crunch
- Feed burner –Subscribe Here
Disclaimer: Barleans sent us these products free of charge. We love them. Yes, that is both our opinion. Always.