Paleo Sticky Coffee Cake Muffins are a healthy gluten-free, mini version of your favorite coffee cake! This recipe is made easily in a blender, bakes in under 30 minutes, and pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee.
- 3/4 cup sour cream or buttermilk — > See notes for paleo version. You will need chilled canned coconut milk and apple cider vinegar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ripe medium banana
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp + Cinnamon (divided)
- extra maple syrup and pecans for topping
Optional topping/glaze –
- 1 tbsp Melted butter or melted refined coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Optional coconut sugar or raw sugar to sprinkle
For the muffins:
- Preheat oven to 350º degrees F.
- If you want the paleo version, first make your paleo sour cream. You will need chilled coconut cream for that. See notes.
- Place sour cream, banana, eggs, and maple syrup in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add your almond flour, maple syrup, baking soda, baking powder, salt, vanilla, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Blend again until thick smooth batter is formed.
- Pour batter into a greased muffin tin, filling 3/4 of each muffin each
- Add pinch more ground cinnamon and nuts on top of each and swirls around with a knife.
- Bake for 22-26 minutes or until center is tested with a toothpick and comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool or add glaze topping and serve. Optional glaze topping below. Store in airtight container (once cooled) in a fridge. Freezer friendly.
For the topping:
- Mix 1 tbsp melted butter or melted refined coconut oil with 1-2 tbsp maple syrup. Brush on top muffins once out of the oven or ready to serve.
- Sprinkle with coconut sugar or raw sugar.
Paleo substitute for sour cream or buttermilk
- Mix your chilled canned coconut milk (the thickened part) with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Set it in the fridge for 5 minutes. You can also use almond milk, it will have just a slightly different texture. The almond milk will also bake faster. Coconut milk will make the muffins extra moist.
- If using coconut milk, baking time will be closer to 25 minutes. The coconut milk doesn’t have to be a thick cream, just thicker than normal. Email me or leave a comment with any questions.
Nutrition shown below based on using almond milk and no toppings.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 22 - 26 minutes for full size muffins. Check muffins around 20 minutes.
- Category: brunch
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blender muffins, coffee cake muffins, Paleo coffee cake