Paleo Sticky Coffee Cake Muffins are a healthy gluten-free, mini version of your favorite coffee cake! This recipe is made easily in a blender, bakes in under 30 minutes, and pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee.
- 3/4 cup sour cream or buttermilk — > See notes for paleo version. You will need chilled canned coconut milk and apple cider vinegar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 cup almond meal/flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- extra maple syrup and pecans for topping
- Melted butter or coconut oil for topping
- optional coconut sugar for crumble topping
For the topping:
- Mix 1 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil with 1-2 tbsp maple syrup and 1/4 tsp vanilla. Pour on muffins once cooled.
- Optional coconut sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on top. See notes for other topping options.
For the muffins:
- Preheat oven to 35Oº degrees F.
- If you want the paleo version, first make your paleo sour cream or buttermilk. You will need chilled coconut cream for that. See notes.
- Place sour cream, banana, eggs, and maple syrup in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add your almond flour, maple syrup, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and extracts. Blend again until thick smooth batter is formed.
- Pour batter into a greased muffin tin, filling 3/4 of each muffin each
- Add cinnamon an nuts on top of each and swirls around with a knife.
- Bake for 22-26 minutes or until center is tested with a toothpick and comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Serve or store in airtight container (once cooled) in a fridge. Freezer friendly too.
Paleo substitute for sour cream or buttermilk
- Mix your chilled canned coconut milk (the thickened part) with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Set it in the fridge for 5 minutes. You can also use almond milk, it will have just a slightly different texture. The almond milk will also bake faster. Coconut milk will make the muffins extra moist.
- If using coconut milk, baking time will be closer to 25 minutes. The coconut milk doesn’t have to be a thick cream, just thicker than normal. Email me or leave a comment with any questions.
- Optional topping ideas: Homemade Vegan Dulce de Leche/condensed milk sauce Coconut sugar and cinnamon, or even melted nut butter.
- Nutrition shown below based on using almond milk and no toppings.
- If you use coconut milk, each muffin is around 200 calories and 15-16 grams of fat and 2 grams saturated fat.
- Category: snacks
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blender muffins, coffee cake muffins, Paleo coffee cake