Paleo Cocoa Hazelnut Bread with Molasses. Updated 2018
- 1 1/2 grain free flour (ie. cassava flour or almond flour) See notes for baking times.
- 1/4 c arrowroot flour or tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2–3 tbsp molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional –> to make sweet feel free to add in stevia baking sugar or 1/2 cup coconut sugar/brown sugar, etc.
- Mix your dry ingredients first in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk your eggs and milk. Pour into bowl with dry mix. Whisk until batter is smooth.
- Fold in your hazelnuts and molasses and beat or mix until batter has consistent texture. If there are any flour clumps, be sure to remove them.
- Pour into an oiled 8×4 bread pan and bake at 350F for about 35 to 45 minutes. Check center of bread for doneness at 25 minutes to see how it’s baking.
- If you are using a different flour, it could take longer/shorter. Adjust accordingly.
- Once done, remove and let cool, do not touch, for 15 minutes. The bread will have a very dense cake like texture.
- Once cooled, drizzle with extra molasses, cocoa powder, and chopped hazelnuts to top!
- Makes about 8-9 slices.
You can use other paleo flour like cassava flour here or gluten free multipurpose flour if you don’t have plantain flour
- Category: bread
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american