This paleo friendly Lamb stew is PACKED full of vegetables and flavor! Minimal ingredients and easy to make. Whole30 friendly.
- 2 oz uncured bacon strips
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour (or other gluten free flour/starch of choice)
- 1 1/2 lbs of lamb or lamb loin (stew meat or chopped)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic (or about 1 clove)
- 3 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock (gluten free)
- Optional 1 tsp sweetener (see instructions)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups chopped potato (use sweet potato for paleo option)
- 1/4 cup white wine (omit for paleo)
- 1 bay leaf
- First, make sure all your veggies are chopped. Set aside.
- Next place bacon strips in a large stock pot or dutch oven. Cook . Drain half the bacon grease out keep the other half in the pot. Save 1 tbsp of the bacon fat for later on. Crumble or chop the bacon into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- Next coat your lamb with gluten free flour and add this to your pot with bacon grease.
- Brown your lamb on medium with the bacon fat. Cook until lamb looks tender and more brown. This will vary depending on the size pieces of your lamb. Anywhere between 6-10 minutes.
- Once the lamb is browned, drain any extra grease fat leaving a little extra in the pot for flavor.
- Next add your pepper, salt, onion, and garlic to the pot with the lamb.
- Saute till onion begins to become golden. If you have any bacon fat left that you drained out at the beginning, add it back into the pot (it adds more flavor but is optional) with the garlic-onion mixture.
- Add your bacon pieces, stock, and optional sugar or honey (omit for whole 30 option). Cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Add your carrots, celery, potatoes, white wine, and bay leaf and thyme.
- Stir and simmer again (between low and medium low) covered for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.Remove bay leaf once ready to serve.
Add more broth or water to adjust thickness of stew. Feel free to add more or less salt as well.
Omit sugar/sweetener for whole 30 option.
- Category: main
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 566.4mg
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 17.2g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 30g
- Cholesterol: 85.5mg
Keywords: braised lamb stew, gluten free, paleo, whole30