This Mexican quinoa skillet is a vegetarian, gluten free one pan recipe that utilizes leftovers! Makes a quick dinner or appetizer for football season.
- 2 tsp oil (naturally refined coconut oil, avocado oil, or olive oil)
- 2/3 cup peeled and chopped onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups cooked or previously frozen corn
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4 – 5 cups cooked quinoa (about 2 cups uncooked if preparing from scratch)
- 2 – 3 tbsp vegetable broth or stock
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup salsa or taco sauce
- Optional – 1 cup shredded mexican cheese or vegan cheese sauce (recipe in notes) or use my vegan queso!
- Chopped fresh cilantro to garnish
- For serving – Optional jalapenos (sliced), tortilla chips, avocado and/or sour cream
*Tips for cooking quinoa and making vegan cheese sauce in notes.
- Heat a large oven safe skillet on medium to medium high. Add 1 tbsp oil and Sauté the onion in olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add minced garlic during the final minute of cook time.
- Next, stir in the corn and bell peppers and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes, or until veggies are softened.
- Add the cooked quinoa, broth, salt, pepper and cumin. Mix together. Stir in the taco sauce, then cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until spices and sauces are absorbed and veggies are cooked.
- Lastly, add your optional shredded cheese (or non dairy “cheese” sauce) and mix together. Cook on medium low heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
- For extra crispy cheesy, add more cheese on top and place under broiler in oven for 1 minute.
- Top with cilantro to garnish. Serve with jalapeños and optional tortilla chips and avocado or sour cream if desired.
Easy Vegan Cheese Sauce
1 cup hummus, 1/4 to 1/3 cup oil, Garlic and spices of choice (red pepper, taco seasoning, etc.)
- Combine in pan on the stove over medium high heat or in microwave until melted and combined.
Tips for cooking quinoa!
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve until the water runs clear. This removes the coating that is naturally on the quinoa. Boxed quinoa is generally pre-rinsed.
- For every cup of quinoa you cook, you will need two cups of water. For this recipe, if you want to prepare four cups of quinoa, boil eight cups of salted water.
- Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to medium, cover and allow the quinoa to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Quinoa will look like it has popped open when it is fully cooked. Set it aside for five minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Category: quick meals
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: Mexican quinoa, Mexican skillet dinner, quinoa, one pan dinner, gluten free, vegetarian