A warm lemon cake sits atop a delicate custard like middle in this light lemon pudding cake recipe. It’s an excellent party dish, delicious just out of the oven. We’ve made this lemon cake healthier by using gluten free ingredients and greek yogurt. Dairy free and sugar free option!
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted (vegan butter can be substituted)
- 3 lemons
- 1 ½ cups organic Greek Yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 2/3 c -1 cup coconut sugar or raw sugar (baking stevia for sugar free option)
- 3 large eggs – Separated if you prefer a lighter texture.
- ¼ cup gluten free multi purpose flour (ex: Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten free Flour)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Optional lemon zest or 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- powdered sugar substitute (like Swerve) and fresh berries/lemon slices for topping
- Preheat oven to 330F. Grease 1 quart casserole dish or 8 -9 inch cake tin, set aside.
- Using a grater, grate the zest of one lemon into a food processor. Add melted butter and pulse until combined.
- Juice the three lemons into a bowl. Strain into the butter mixture in the food processor.
- Add your remaining ingredients and process on low for 3 minutes or so.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden around the edges and it springs back when touched. Let it cool slightly. Baking times vary depending on oven.
- Best served with fresh sliced lemon and a sprinkle of powdered sugar or sugar free powder substitute on top.
- If you want this self-saucing lemon pudding cake to rise a little more (fluff), separate the eggs and egg yolks, whip the egg whites after they come to room temperature, the mix with batter and bake in smaller ramekins.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american/english
Keywords: lemon cake, paleo, gluten free, yogurt cake, self-saucing pudding, pudding cake, dairy free, healthy, dessert, sugar free