Give your digestion a little TLC with this Green Smoothie with Kiwi and celery juice! Superfood ingredients that improves digestion to help naturally detoxify the body. A green smoothie recipe full of anti-inflammatory & nutrient rich ingredients! Simply delicious and refreshing!
If last year was the year of morning juices and smoothie bowls, then I’d like to propose that this year be the year we combine the two!! Yes, let’s double up on nutrition with the power of GREEN smoothie with kiwi, orange, lemon, and celery juice. I’m all about recycling trends if it does a body good! And honestly, sometimes we just need SIMPLE ingredients and SIMPLE preparations in order to really maintain a balanced real food diet. Nothing again smoothie bowls or power bowls, heck, I make them all the time. But there is something really refreshing, nourishing, and cleansing about a green smoothie blend with fresh fruit and vegetable juice added.
KIWI fruit and CELERY Juice – the ultimate digestive health duo!
If you don’t know by now, I’m married to a Kiwi. Not the fruit, the Country. Kiwi… the national bird of NEW ZEALAND! And no, the kiwi bird doesn’t lay kiwi fruit. Although, Kiwifruit is a major horticultural export in New Zealand and my Kiwi of a husband is quite obsessed with them. But I digress.
You see, the Kiwifruit in New Zealand is so soft you basically can cut it sideways and use a spoon to scoop out the middle, kinda like you would an avocado. Each morning my husband would do just that. And my kiwi mother in law would do the same.
But… here’s the Super part!
Kiwi fruit can also help your digestion, especially if you suffer from IBS. The KIWI fruit contains both proteolytic enzymes and prebiotic carbohydrate fibers which aid in digestion and can help things (waste) get moving along. Um, no wonder it’s a “regular” breakfast fruit consumption. Yes, SUPER KIWI for super digestion! Pun intended.
Now about that other super GREEN ingredient.
CELERY Juice Health perks!
- Celery can help reduce inflammation in the stomach with the help of bioactive compound called apigenin (source).
- Fresh celery juice is low in fructose, making it low fodmap friendly. Plus it’s rich in vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin C, and folate.
- Celery juice can also support digestion by stimulating the production of HCL (stomach acid). Low stomach acid prevents the stomach from breaking down bad bacteria and properly absorbing nutrients. Many of us have a depleted source of stomach acid due to stress and diet. So that is something to consider. As always, best to chat with your health practitioner first!
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY Celery contains luteolin, a potent flavonoid, that can act as an antioxidant and calm inflammation.
We can’t leave out the other SUPER ingredients that help make this green smoothie.
Other GREEN SMOOTHIE Superfoods to add:
- Lemon/Lime – Vitamin C and good for cleansing the liver.
- Parsley – rich in Vitamin K and is another great digestive aid! YAY!
- coconut water (if you don’t have celery juice or juicer) – rich in potassium and magnesium and also acts as a digestive.
- ginger– anti-inflammatory properties and helps soothe the stomach lining
- chia seed – fiber and digestive aid (bulking agent)
- fresh orange juice – Vitamin C
- pinch of sea salt – great for adrenal health.
Okay raise your hand if you are need of a GO TO drink (aka this detoxifying green smoothie) to help with daily digestion? I’m pretty sure we all should have our hands raised. Am I right?
Cheers to a fresh start of the week and SUPER digestion.
We’ll be chatting more about Spring Cleaning your health, diet, environment, and more in the next few weeks. SO stay tuned!!
In the meantime, tell me….What’s your go to drink or recipe to support gut health?
Green Smoothies, celery juice, kiwi?