Instant pot artichokes are ready in just 20 minutes and the perfect Spring snack option when paired with a quick herb aioli. Paleo and vegetarian!
For the Instant Pot Artichokes:
- 3 small to medium artichokes, washed, trimmed, and stems cut off.
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- Optional aromatics – Lemon juice, fresh/dried herbs, spice blend of choice.
For the Quick Aioli:
- 3/4 cup real mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped herbs – rosemary and oregano (2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 Tablespoon dijon or honey mustard *
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons garlic or 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons olive oil* See notes.
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- sea salt and black pepper to taste (at least 1/4 teaspoon)
How to Steam Artichokes: (updated 4/12/2021)
- Trim the outer layer of the artichoke by peeling off the first layer of leaves. Cut the tip and stem. Rub the tips with a little bit of fresh lemon juice. This is optional, but it keeps the artichokes from browning.
- Place artichokes upside down on the wire trivet of the instant pot. The wire trivet or steam basket should have come with your instant pot. Note – Video in post shows steaming artichokes stem side down. I used this method for cooking small artichokes in a smaller instant pot.
- Pour water or broth over the artichokes and around the instant pot. Add optional aromatics (i.e pinch of dried herbs, etc.) This will give the artichokes more flavor when steaming.
- Cover and lock the lid by sealing the vent closed. Press steam mode and timer to 10 minutes; 12-15 minutes for medium to medium larger (see notes). The instant pot will warm up and then cook for 10 minutes. Use quick release (vent on) to reduce pressure and overcooking. Once it’s done, the lid will unlock, naturally.
- Remove artichokes from the instant pot. Check to see if the artichokes are fully cooked by inserting a knife down the middle. It should slide into the bottom easily.
- Place on a large plate or bowl. Season to taste.
- Once they’ve finished cooking and are cool enough to handle, place on a large plate or bowl. Pull the leaves off and serve with aioli (below) or dip of choice or split in half for easy access to the heart.
- Season to taste.
For the Aioli:
- Whisk together all ingredients and let chill for 30 minutes before serving.
- For homemade aioli, see this recipe this recipe.
* Cook times will vary based on the size of the artichokes, as well as the density of the leaves. Large artichokes can take up to 25 minutes to pressure cook.
* AIOLI – Adjust amount of olive oil according to desired thickness. For whole 30 option, use Dijon mustard. For vegan option, use egg free mayonnaise.
Estimated Nutrition for Aioli: Serves 6-8 (2 – 3 tbsp each) Calories 135, Total fat, 12-14 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat, Cholesterol 46 mg, 0.5 grams carbs, 0.7 grams protein, 0 grams sugar.
- Category: side dish
- Method: pressure cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 large artichoke
- Calories: 30
- Sugar: 0.6g
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 6.5g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 2.1g
Keywords: instant pot, pressure cooker, how to steam artichokes, paleo, vegetarian, gluten free