This gluten free potato bread is soft, tender, and full of plant-based protein. Make this quick bread recipe for a nutritious, healthy treat!
- 1 cup finely mashed potato about 1 skinless cooked medium russet potato (275-300 grams), cooled or at room temperature (see notes)
- 3 cups blanched fine almond flour (see notes for gluten free flour option with yeast)
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried chive or basil (or herbs of choice)
- 3/4 cup non dairy milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- Optional Toppings: fresh chopped herbs and/or shredded parmesan as topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease an 8×4 or 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl. Stir in the onion powder and dried herbs making sure there are no clumps.
- In a second large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and oil.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring gently until a smooth batter forms. Pour in the apple cider vinegar and mix until incorporated.
- Lastly, fold in the mashed potato.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan. If desired, sprinkle the top with extra herbs and/or parmesan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. The top should be golden brown in color.
- Remove from the oven and let the loaf cool completely before serving. The bread will be too soft to cut into slices if it is warm.
- Store in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap or a sealed container for up to a week.
- Baking Tips – Potato- 1 medium russet potato baked = about 1 cup finely mashed potato (no butter or oil added). You can mash the potato (no skin) with a fork.
- Freezing Tips – Wrap loaf in aluminum foil and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Flour Option – The original version with gluten free all purpose flour and yeast can be found HERE. It’s more of a sandwich style bread/texture.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: bread, side
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 272
- Sugar: 4.2g
- Sodium: 14.3mg
- Fat: 21.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrates: 15.7g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 8.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: gluten free potato bread, gluten free bread recipe, holiday leftover recipes, quick bread recipe