What’s the first thing you think of when you correlate healthy guts and travel? Yup, traveler’s stomach. It can range anywhere from bloat, to constipation, to well.. the complete opposite.
My stomach today is 90% healed since my parasite and digestive malabsorption, but I am still extra careful when I travel. It took me a few times to figure out what worked, especially on international travel, but I have finally found a good plan of action. Now, everyone’s stomach is different so my plan might not work for you, but hey, at least you know.
Good Gut Travel Tips (My stomach’s best):
- If I am traveling early in the morning, I don’t eat anything before a flight. But I drink. A juice or a smoothie. Low Lactose.
- I don’t eat a lot of veggies or salad when traveling. Nope. Can’t do it. The only veggie I travel with are baby carrots or cucumber. And I usually bring almond cheese with me.
- I buy a kombucha at the airport. Then sip on it as soon as I land. I avoid carbonated drinks when I travel. Lots of water with my favorite LEMON packet added.
- I snack on small nutrients foods, not heavy meals. Larabar, nuts, Jay Robb protein Bars, rice crackers, almond butter. I wish I could do quest bars but it’s way too much fiber for my gut.
- I bring my protein. Yup, I bring an empty bottle, fill it with water when I get there and then add in my protein powder. Sometimes I add it to a lactose free organic yogurt, just depends on what I can get through security. I usually sip on this drink during flight with a banana. No other fruit. Apples and stone fruit are high in fructose and do not settle well in my stomach while traveling.
- I double up on my probiotics/colostrum. Remember this post?
- If I have access to a kitchen upon arrival, I will make an inside tract smoothie the morning after my travel. My friend (and brilliant RD) Mel shared this recipe with me a few years ago. It’s great for restoring that gut!
It may not be strange to bloggers, but trust me, I get strange looks from others when I make it. Haha.
Oh, I almost forgot…
Sometimes you just gotta relax rather than worry about the gut, yes? That’s when I kiss that travel gut plan good bye and order a mini wine and gluten free snack plate. Ahh..so divine!
So there you have it, gutsy tips on a travel Friday. This afternoon I land in Boston, will meet up with the Kiwi Cotter, then go eat home made pizza with this amazing Blend (Jess) and this amazing Blend (Jolene.) Did I mention I get to stay with one of them (Jolene)? Yes, so thankful for them both!
Saturday we drive to Maine for the race. It may be gutsy to follow our dreams, but hey, we’re just listening to our gut. No matter what, God has a plan.
Our friend Lori texted this quote to both me and the kiwi. It resonated with me, more so now than ever!
“Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records.”
– William A. Ward (Inspirational Writer)
Do you have a happy gut travel plan?