Flavorful veggie-packed chickpea burgers made with plant based ingredients and served on gluten free hamburger buns! You can make on the grill or in the oven! No eggs needed to make the cauliflower chickpea burger patties!
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 can (13 ounces) chickpeas (drained)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika (divided)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (divided)
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 green onions (stem removed)
- Handful fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 cup multipurpose gluten free flour – see notes for more options
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- Udis Gluten Free Whole Grain Hamburger Buns
- Sliced Vegetables and toppings of choice – tomato, olives, lettuce, onion, feta, sprouts, hummus, aioli (mayonnaise) work great!
- Dice cauliflower into smaller pieces. Place in large skillet with oil, garlic, chickpeas, and 1/4 tsp of the smoked paprika. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook 4-5 minutes on medium heat, coating the chickpeas and cauliflower with the seasoning and oil.
- Remove from pan and place all in food processor. Pulse 3 times on low. Add chopped onion and 1/2 of the pumpkin seeds to the food processor.
- Blend until all is mixed. Batter will still be a bit thick and chunky. Scrape sides. Add the other half of the pumpkin seeds, parsley, spices, etc. Blend until a moldable “burger” batter is formed. The seeds and veggies will be finely chopped at this point.
- Place in mixing bowl. Add sugar, gluten free flour, and mix with hands.
- Chill batter 10 minutes.
- Form into patties that are 4-5 inches wide. You can use 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of batter to measure this, then press flat with hand..
- Heat grill and brush the grill with oil to so the chickpea burgers cook evenly. You can also bake the burgers. See below. Grill burgers 6-8 minutes each side. Flipping carefully.
- The last 5 minutes of grilling, place the gluten free hamburger buns (sliced in half and face down) on the grill to toast.
- *If you choose to bake * Preheat oven to 400F. Line baking sheet or oil baking sheet. Place patties on baking sheet and in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Flipping once.
- Serve your chickpea burger on toasted buns with choice of fixings and toppings. These burgers also freeze well. Wrap them in foil to keep shape before freezing.
- To make on a skillet, just heat pan, add oil, and fry/cook on medium for 3-5 minutes each side . Depending on the size of your burger patties. Be careful to flip. Use a large spatula to gently flip.
- Brown rice flour or coconut flour can be used, but they might not hold up as well on the grill. I would chill batter an extra 5 minutes if you are using a different flour. A multi-purpose gluten free flour (like Bobs Red mill’s) works best.
- Category: main
- Method: grilled
- Cuisine: Moroccan
Keywords: chickpea burgers, veggie burgers, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian