Grilled Moroccan Cauliflower Chickpea Burgers! Flavorful veggie-packed chickpea burgers made with plant based ingredients and served on gluten free hamburger buns! This is one killer gluten free veggie burger recipe you can make on the grill, stove, or in the oven! Moroccan spices mixed with cauliflower and chickpeas make these burgers to die for! Delicious, simple, healthy, and easy!
This Gluten-Free Grilled Moroccan Cauliflower Chickpea Burgers recipe is sponsored by my Friends at Udi’s Gluten Free! We are thankful for their wonderful gluten free products and allowing me to share the joy of GLUTEN FREE eating!
Oh hey hey, it’s Pioneer Day! Ya, I didn’t know what that was either until last week. It’s a Utah thing and everyone has off work, busting out the BBQ, and getting ready for fireworks! Google it to learn more. I, for one, forgot it was a “holiday” and was quite shocked to see all the festivities going on this morning. Parades and all! Like whoa.. time warp back to 4th of July! Yes yes, there are many surprising things have I learned about living in Utah. Mostly Good things, some really awkward things. But more on that in a later post. Haha!
Anyway, despite not knowing today was a Summer Utah Holiday, I still managed to make gluten free hamburgers and feel festive! Actually, I lie. These are not hamburgers, they are Moroccan Cauliflower chickpea burgers! Even better, right? I know these are not pioneer-ish, but they still make a GREAT Vegetarian BBQ dish for ANY festivity! So yes, let’s talk about this MOST DELICIOUS (and surprisingly handy) recipe I learned to MAKE this month. Gluten Free Chickpea Burgers that are GRILLABLE! Is that a word? Well, I’m gonna make it one. Mmm k?
Moroccan Cauliflower Chickpea Burgers with Udis Gluten Free Whole Grain Hamburger Buns! Ya’ll.. LIFE CHANGING! I know, I say that a lot, but it’s true. Really!
Okay, so since we are on the topic of surprises and learning new things. Let me list to you what I learned about these vegan chickpea burgers and gluten free hamburger buns. Learning if fun, and it makes you hungry, so now you see my reasoning here. Haha!
- Did you know that you make gluten free, vegan, chickpea burgers ON THE GRILL? Yes, and I’d like to thank chickpeas and cauliflower for that. They do wonders in the veggie burger world.
- Did you know that Harissa paste (hence the Moroccan flavor) is actually easy to make into a spice? All you need are nuts, seeds, dried herbs, and paprika! YEA!
- Did you know that you can eat these chickpea burgers raw? LOL! I know I know, it’s not the same but dang, it was fun being able to eat the batter and not worry! Oh and still so tasty!
- Did you know that Udis Whole Grain Hamburger Buns uses 3 different whole grains in their buns? Teff, Amaranth, and Brown Rice! Looooove it!
- Did you know that their Whole Grain Gluten Free hamburger buns also have 6 grams of fiber. Now add that to the 8 grams of fiber in the grilled Moroccan Cauliflower Chickpea Burger patties. Um… hello 14 grams of fiber in one sitting. YEA BUDDY!
- Did you know that these burger buns are SUPER soft on the outside, but also make a tasty crispy edge when you toast them on the grill? Gah! Heavenly!
- Did you know that my birthday is in 4 days and I forgot how old I am? Okay that has nothing to do with these Moroccan Cauliflower Chickpea Burgers, but just wanted to make sure you are paying attention. Oh and that you can send me a present, if you’d like. Wink Wink.
- Did you know that you can serve these Chickpea Burgers open faced, with lots of pretty veggies, and a side of avocado yogurt dip at your next BBQ? Then you will officially be of Martha Stewart Status. Just sayin..
Haha, I hope you laughed at the last few “Did you know” learning tips! Laugh so hard you got hungry! Okay, let’s eat!Print
Flavorful veggie-packed chickpea burgers made with plant based ingredients and served on gluten free hamburger buns! You can make on the grill or in the oven! No eggs needed to make the cauliflower chickpea burger patties!
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 can (13 ounces) chickpeas (drained)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika (divided)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (divided)
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 green onions (stem removed)
- Handful fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 cup multipurpose gluten free flour – see notes for more options
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- Udis Gluten Free Whole Grain Hamburger Buns
- Sliced Vegetables and toppings of choice – tomato, olives, lettuce, onion, feta, sprouts, hummus, aioli (mayonnaise) work great!
- Dice cauliflower into smaller pieces. Place in large skillet with oil, garlic, chickpeas, and 1/4 tsp of the smoked paprika. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook 4-5 minutes on medium heat, coating the chickpeas and cauliflower with the seasoning and oil.
- Remove from pan and place all in food processor. Pulse 3 times on low. Add chopped onion and 1/2 of the pumpkin seeds to the food processor.
- Blend until all is mixed. Batter will still be a bit thick and chunky. Scrape sides. Add the other half of the pumpkin seeds, parsley, spices, etc. Blend until a moldable “burger” batter is formed. The seeds and veggies will be finely chopped at this point.
- Place in mixing bowl. Add sugar, gluten free flour, and mix with hands.
- Chill batter 10 minutes.
- Form into patties that are 4-5 inches wide. You can use 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of batter to measure this, then press flat with hand..
- Heat grill and brush the grill with oil to so the chickpea burgers cook evenly. You can also bake the burgers. See below. Grill burgers 6-8 minutes each side. Flipping carefully.
- The last 5 minutes of grilling, place the gluten free hamburger buns (sliced in half and face down) on the grill to toast.
- *If you choose to bake * Preheat oven to 400F. Line baking sheet or oil baking sheet. Place patties on baking sheet and in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Flipping once.
- Serve your chickpea burger on toasted buns with choice of fixings and toppings. These burgers also freeze well. Wrap them in foil to keep shape before freezing.
- To make on a skillet, just heat pan, add oil, and fry/cook on medium for 3-5 minutes each side . Depending on the size of your burger patties. Be careful to flip. Use a large spatula to gently flip.
- Brown rice flour or coconut flour can be used, but they might not hold up as well on the grill. I would chill batter an extra 5 minutes if you are using a different flour. A multi-purpose gluten free flour (like Bobs Red mill’s) works best.
- Category: main
- Method: grilled
- Cuisine: Moroccan
Keywords: chickpea burgers, veggie burgers, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian
Estimated Nutrition Per Veggie Burger
What’s your favorite type of veggie burger? Do you make them with beans, chickpeas, cauliflower? I’m kind of obsessed now! But I think half of this obsession comes from Udis Gluten Free Whole Grain Hamburger Buns. *Heart Eyes*