Grain Free Birthday Cake for Dogs (egg free)
- 2 1/4 cup (250 grams) chickpea flour (*see notes for substitutes)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup naturally refined coconut oil, liquid (or olive oil)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup mashed strawberries, divided (1/3 cup to be used to garnish or mixed with frosting)
- 1 Tablespoon honey, optional
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or organic 2% milk
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or chilled coconut cream with 1 Tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven 350F. Line a small round cake tin (7 inches) with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, sift the chickpea flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda together. In another bowl, whisk the milk, oil and lemon juice.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold in 1/3 cup mashed strawberries and honey, if using. Pour into cake tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until center comes out clean with toothpick.
- Let the cake cool then place in fridge to set for 30 minutes. While cake is chilling, make the frosting.
- Whisk together plain Greek yogurt and honey, if using.
- Slice cake in half to create two tiers (optional). Spread about 1/2 cup or less whipped Greek yogurt between each cake and stack the cakes gently on top of each other. Spread the rest of the yogurt frosting on top and garnish with leftover mashed strawberries.
- Substitute Tips – 250 grams oat flour may be substituted if your pup can handle grain
- Assembling Tips – This may be made into a sheet pan cake or one tier cake. Adjust baking times if needed. Check status of cake at 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: pet food, cake, grain free, dogs, birthday cake for dogs, healthy