Gluten Free Slow Cooker Raspberry Pork Radicchio Wraps. Sounds fancy but it’s such an easy recipe to make and serve in the slow cooker! A flavorful healthy dish your whole family will love! Great for a meal or a gluten free appetizer.
Another NEW vegetable to try this week. Apparently I’m already over Summer and moving on to Fall/Winter vegetables. Actually, this vegetable (Radicchio) is pretty much available year around. And the other flavors I’m combining with it have a touch of Summer. It all evens out, right?
But hear me out. I have a reason for this recipe. Like always, there is a nutrition focus. Because food is just so much better when we “get it.” We get why flavors work, why nutrients collaborate, why recipes are cooked a certain way. When we GET our food, it GIVES right back. Taste and nourishment! Sorry, corny Cotter moment.
Okay, let’s talk about this dish. First of all, it’s super easy. Don’t let the long name (slow cooked, gluten free, raspberry pork, radicchio wraps, etc.) intimidate you. It really is simple and purposeful, just needs to be explained.
Ready? What’s the dish and WHY!
- slow cooker or stewed Pork (meat) – slow cooking meats at lower temperature help us digest it better.
- Raspberries/ Juice – A summer fruit that is high in vitamin C, which can help with power within the dish. Plus it helps balance out the spicy radicchio.
- Goat Cheese – Healthy fats and Calcium. Plus goat milk is also easier to digest that regular cow’s milk due to a low lactose content.
- Chili Pepper – high in antioxidants
- Dried Basil – Soothing herb and anti-fungral
- Radicchio– The star of the show! This vegetable makes for a great alternative for regular wraps. It It has a bitter and spicy taste which is why the goat cheese and raspberry make a great pair with it!
- Radicchio contains the phytonutrients like lycopene and quercetin (i’ll talk more about quercetin on FRIDAY! YAY!)
- High in Vitamin K, which can help with calcium absorption (hence the Goat cheese combo)
- Also, radicchio is shown to promote digestive juices secreted from liver to gallbladder, which improves your overall digestion, especially with healthy fats. I was going to mention the real name of this, but decided to not give a visual. Haha. Feel free to read about it here.
Oh, and I added shrimp on top to a few, for a little surf and turf fun, but it’s totally optional!
So to sum it up. This dish is EASY to make in the slow cooker and EASY on the stomach. Which is why we’re totally diggin it! When life feels like a roller coaster, it’s always nice to focus on the simple things. Including food and nutrition.Print
What I also like about this dish is that you don’t have to use pork. You can use chicken, turkey, tempeh, salmon, beef, etc. All will work beautifully in the recipe. Slow cooked with the raspberry really makes it flavorful! The radicchio cups are my frugal way of eating gluten free but with great great health perks. It’s truly a win win, don’t you think? And if you if you have time, you should try grilling the radicchio first. It’s AMAZING!
oh the goat cheese.. it’s my fav! Don’t ever forget that.
Okay, try this out and let me know whatcha think!
[Tweet “#GlutenFree #SlowCooker Pork Stuffed Radicchio Wraps!Sounds fancy but oh so easy! #lowcarb”]
Have you tried radicchio cups? Yay or nay?