Quick and easy to make this classic gluten free pumpkin pie has all the traditional flavor you love with simple dairy free ingredients for a delicious pie the whole family can enjoy!
For the Pie Crust (See notes for quick alternatives and make-ahead tips):
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter or vegan butter, cold
- 6 Tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 15 ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs (See notes for vegan option)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (See notes for alternatives)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar or granulated sugar substitute (Ex: monk fruit sweetener)
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Optional: 2 Tablespoons liquor such as amaretto or brandy
- Optional: 1/4 cup glazed nut halves for topping
For the Pie Crust:
- Place the gluten-free flour in a medium-sized bowl, and cut or grate the butter into the flour until it is crumbly.
- Evenly sprinkle the ice water in the butter and flour mixture. Using two hands, work the dough until soft. If it is too dry, add an additional 2- 3 Tablespoons of ice water, and mix until just combined.
- Form the dough into a single ball, and flatten it into a disk.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and let it chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Once the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a lightly floured surface or parchment paper, roll out the dough into a large oval or circle big enough to drop over an 8 or 9-inch pie pan.
- Drap the dough over the pie pan, and gently press it down to fit. Trim the excess dough, and crimp the edges between two fingers or with a fork.
- Place the prepared pie crust in the refrigerator while preparing the filling. Or, parbake the crust for 5 minutes in the oven, and let it cool completely.
For the Filling:
- Place the ingredients; pumpkin puree, eggs, milk, maple syrup, sugar, and spices, in a high-powered blender or mixing bowl, and blend or mix to combine until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell.
- Place the pie in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Then, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and let it bake for another 45-50 minutes or until a knife can be inserted 1 inch from the crust and comes out clean.
- Let the pie cool, and garnish as desired.
- Quick Pie Crust Substitutes – Use a pre-made pie crust mix or frozen gluten-free pie shells.
- Make-Ahead Tip – You can freeze the unbaked pie dough once you’ve shaped it into disks. Wrap the dough with plastic freezer wrap. Then, place the dough into a freezer bag. To use, place the frozen dough in the refrigerator (thawing will take a few hours), and roll it out as usual.
- For a creamier filling, use canned coconut milk lite in place of non-dairy milk.
- Store leftover pie covered in the refrigerator.
- Use plant-based butter in the pie crust recipe. For the filling, replace the eggs with an additional 1 Tablespoon of arrowroot starch and 1 Tablespoon liquified coconut oil, mixed into the batter.
- The vegan pie will take longer to bake – closer to 55 minutes. Check the pie in 45 minutes for doneness. The filling will be done when the middle is a darker golden brown and the edges are browned.
- Let the pie chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.
- NOTE: A small part of the center will be soft but equally delicious. See blog post for photos.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 499
- Sugar: 26.4 g
- Sodium: 143.1 mg
- Fat: 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 55.4 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 6.1 g
- Cholesterol: 100.3 mg
Keywords: pie, pumpkin pie, pumpkin, gluten free, dairy free, dessert