I grew up with three brothers. Three active in sport brothers. Heck, we all were! Needless to say my mom became very resourceful in the kitchen and thrifty in the grocery store. And you know what? She engraved that same “resourcefulness” in me. Like mother, like daughter.
But for us, we value every ingredient and FUEL in our house. Therefore I try to make the most of every ingredient. Does that make sense? Think of it as MORE BANG for your BUCK eatin!
Let’s start with pancakes. Oh our beloved Protein Pancakes!
We love this company. They are great quality and easy to make! All you do is add water. But I have a confession. I will go to great lengths making the batter last by adding extra bulk.
- Chopped dates or dried apricots
- tons of cinnamon and other spices
- And maybe almond meal or banana
Another way I try to be resourceful is by utilizing leftovers. Let no food go to waste! And during heavy training weeks, carbs are our friend. We eat it all! This week’s resourceful is my version Gluten Free Pasta Carbonara. All you need is leftover Rice noodles, chopped bacon, egg, spicy sauce or srirachi, butter/oil, and maybe some cream cheese or goat cheese.
- 1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil or butter
- Brown Rice spaghetti -> zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash for grain free option
- 2/3 cup chopped bacon or Canadian bacon
- Garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Paprika or Cayenne Pepper
- 1 egg
- sliced hard boiled eggs (for topping, but again, it’s optional)
- 1/3- 1/4 cup feta or goat cheese
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Creamy option-> add 1-2 tbsp cream cheese or vegan cream cheese
- Optional mix ins: diced tomato, bell peppers, corn, black pepper/sea salt/chili pepper flakes (to taste)
Cook pasta according to package and drain. Or if you are using leftover pasta, then place in pot on low with a little oil. Add in your bacon and butter/oil and garlic. If you are using real bacon, you might not need extra butter since there is a bit of grease. Let it cook with the pasta until almost done, then add in egg and cheeses and mix again. Let it melt together on low or medium low. Add your balsamic vinegar to sweeten it up a bit and chili flakes or black pepper. Toss together then serve on dish with sriracha on top!
What do you think? Strange but good and RESOURCEFUL?
What’s your go-to resourceful meal?