Cherry BBQ pork chops with quinoa is an easy pork chops recipe that feeds the family. A gluten-free, healthy one-pot dinner that’s perfect as a post workout meal. It’s balanced in carbs, protein, and healthy fats, and loaded with anti-inflammatory properties!
Howdy friends. Happy first complete week of May!
Did you celebrate Cinco de Mayo? We ate BBQ pork chops (doesn’t count as Mexican) but followed it up with a Mexican Chocolate Muffin and had a “fauxjito” smoothie. That counts, right?
Now, let’s talk about the craziness that comes with May. You think you’re not that busy until you look at your calendar and think, whoa… when did I say yes to all this? Um, raise your hand if you’ve been there or are currently thinking the same.
The craziness means there are a lot of meals that need to be simple. EASY gluten-free one-pot meals that can be minimally prepped, healthy (ish), and made with little prep work. Those seem to work out the best for extra crammed schedule.
Gluten Free One-Pot Meals also means you don’t have to use an oven. Because if you live in Texas, it’s already 90° F and sweating in the kitchen is not very attractive. Yes, minimal oven time is definitely a plus for hygiene. Haha.
Speaking of sweating. I mean not sweating, today’s is one-pot wonder meal is actually NO SWEAT to make at all (see what I did there?).
Cherry BBQ Pork Chops with Quinoa
This one-pot pork chops dinner is one of our favorite recovery meals.
And you know me, I love a good reason to talk nutrition along with a recipe. So, EASY ONE-POT gluten-free Cherry BBQ Pork Chops and Quinoa it is! –> Winner Winner! I got your one-pot dinner.
Ya’ll I am not lying when I say throwing everything in a pot – this post-workout meal is SO easy to make. Here. I’ll show you. Just grab some pork chops and what I like to call the perfect POWER recovery meal ingredients!
- Gluten Free BBQ Sauce (Tangy or Spicy, no additives) – Naturally sweetened but also I love that natural BBQ sauce has a good source of lycopene from the tomatoes. Another great anti-oxidant we can add the list!
- Cherry Juice – Your muscles will thank you. Cherry juice contains a ton of anti-inflammatory properties that can help fight oxidative stress (like stress on muscles during exercise, stress from the environment, etc.). All this to say, cherry juice is now relied on for faster recovery and easing muscle soreness post-workout. YES! (source).
- Sea Salt plus Herbs and Natural Spices – Great source of minerals and electrolytes.
- Olive oil or Avocado Oil – Healthy sources of monounsaturated fatty acids are found cold-pressed olive oil. This can help reduce levels of bad cholesterol (LDL). Heart-healthy, yes, we like that!
- Stock or Chicken Broth – Loaded with Minerals and amino acids we need for the muscles to keep healthy and building. BONUS –> drinking or using BONE broth (daily) can really help with reducing inflammation in the gut. This is because of the collagen/gelatin source.
- Pork Chops – Lean healthy meat and protein boost for those recovering and growing muscles!
Last but not least –> Tri-Colored Quinoa ! My favorite ancient grain or pseudo-grain. Yes to carbs because we need them as well to refuel the glycogen in those muscles.
And as you can see below, Organic Quinoa is loaded with fiber, protein, and a plant-based complete protein. Which means it has ALL nine of the essential amino acids necessary for your body.
Plus we’re gonna slow cook this quinoa, soaked in all that broth goodness, which allows for better digestion. I told you this meal was ONE POT WONDER….WONDERFUL for you!
Not to mention that BBQ flavor makes a really tasty quinoa side dish to the cherry BBQ pork chops. Did I mention I like cherry and BBQ? TEXAS girl right here ya’ll!
Now we throw it all together and make one fabulous flavored and balanced one-pot post-workout meal. And when I say post workout, I mean post SUPER TIRED DAY, post CRAZY WEEK tired, post ANYTHING!
This post-workout meal is good for it all.
Plus, might I add, even better for leftovers. Which I am currently noshing on, even at breakfast. No shame.Print
Cherry BBQ pork chops and quinoa is an easy pork chops recipe that feeds the family. A gluten-free, healthy one-pot meal.
- 4 pork chops (4oz each, 1/2 in thick ) — see notes for the type of pork chops that work best
- 1 cup quinoa (dry)
- 1 cup organic broth
- 1 cup cherry juice
- 1/2 cup Gluten-free BBQ Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free BBQ rub/seasoning
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- Rinse your quinoa. Clean and trim pork chops if excess fat or skin is on them.
- Combine broth and quinoa in a stock pot or dutch oven pot. Mix to combine, then place pork chops on top of quinoa.
- Add cherry juice evenly around the pork. Add the oil, BBQ sauce, balsamic vinegar, and spices, including sea salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium-low for 70 – 90 minutes. Check at 35- 40 minutes and flip pork chops if you want them coated with more broth/sauce on the other side.
- If desired, add Worcestershire sauce, BBQ sauce, and/or additional seasoning/salt on top after cooking.
If using thin cut pork chops, check for doneness at 40 minutes.
- Category: Main
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4 oz pork and 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- Calories: 442
- Sugar: 14.9g
- Sodium: 509mg
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrates: 49.9g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 26.1g
- Cholesterol: 61.5mg
Keywords: BBQ pork chops, post workout meal, quinoa, gluten-free dinner
Now grab a plate and join me, because these cherry BBQ pork chops are finger-lickin’ good!
Oh, bring a napkin while you’re at it. Mmm k?
Watch this video to see just how easy these BBQ pork chops are to make:
What one-pot meal do you tend to make often?
Cherry juice for muscle recovery – are you on that bandwagon yet?