Chocolate nut cookies with mesquite are dairy free AND gluten free! Great post workout snack or breakfast on the go! Nutrient dense and full of sweet, smoky flavor!
What’s the best post workout food? Gosh, now there’s a question I get almost every day. It’s also an answer that is so individualized, you know?
Depends on the work out, the nutrient needs, their food allergies or sensitivities, and so on and so on. But if I could sum up my answer in three words, I would say eat real food.
That means refuel with food that brings real nourishment from real ingredients; a good balance of carbs real sugar, a little bit protein, and preferably some minerals to replenish the adrenals.
Which is why I love making post workout gluten free chocolate nut cookies. You can tailor them to your own needs. I make these a lot for my husband when he’s training for any endurance sport. Right now he’s tackling another ironman. The post workout food window to refuel is crucial.
So what’s so special about these mesquite chocolate nut cookies? What makes them great for after a long ride a hard workout? It’s the ingredients; simple but nutrient dense. Let me explain.
- Gluten free rice flour — gluten free carbs to replenish glycogen storage
- Dairy free chocolate chips or cocoa nibs — made from cocoa liquor (non alcoholic) and cane sugar (natural sugars).
- Potato flour — resistant starch
- Coconut butter/oil — healthy MCT fats for energy
- Mesquite powder — the super food plant powder that is packed with mineral such as calcium, iron, lysine, manganese, zinc, and potassium. It’s also high in protein, low on the glycemic index, and digests relatively slowly which is great for regulating blood sugar.
But I also love mesquite flavor combined with chocolate because it gives it a salty smoked flavor. And I don’t know about you, but after a workout or long run, I want salty and sweet. The best of both worlds, yes?
What’s your favorite post workout food?Print
Okay Okay, so you might be wondering…. Uh, can’t I just eat these cookies anytime?
You sure can! They are a great snack for kids or for breakfast on the go. Multi-purpose baking here folks!
So tell me, what’s your favorite post workout snack?
[Tweet “Refuel with #realfood! Make these #glutenfree nutty chocolate mesquite cookies #udisglutenfree #fitfluential”]
Do you use mesquite powder at all? You should… just sayin.
Learn more about living gluten free! Visit http://udisglutenfree.com/community
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Udi’s Gluten Free. The opinions and text are all mine.
Feel free to comment below or on my site comment box! Thanks for reading.Print