Made with simple ingredients, these gluten free chocolate cupcakes are the perfect vegan-friendly dessert option for every occasion!
- 250 – 275 grams (1 3/4 – 2 cups) gluten free 1:1 flour or gluten free all purpose (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder or dark cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups sugar or monk fruit sweetener (add 1/3 c more for extra sweet)
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oil (baking oil such as refined coconut oil, grape seed, or refined avocado oil)
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk (see notes for vegan option)
Frosting (See my coconut whip frosting for more flavor choices)
- 13 ounce can coconut cream, chilled (see notes for substitutes)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
For the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder (or dark cocoa), and sugar.
In another larger bowl combine the pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, oil and buttermilk.
- Gently add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix until a thick, smooth batter is formed.
- Spoon the batter into a prepared muffin pan until each cup is 3/4 of the way full.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the center of the cupcakes come out clean with a toothpick.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and let it cool. While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting.
- Put the chilled can of coconut cream, powdered sugar, vanilla, and cocoa powder into a bowl, and beat the ingredients until fluffy.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag, and decorate the cupcakes.
- If using gluten free all purpose flour, use 275 grams. If using 1:1 gluten free flour, use 275 grams.
- For vegan buttermilk, use 1 1/2 cup non-dairy milk with 2 teaspoons of vinegar, and let it sit for 10 minutes before adding it to the recipe.
- If you are able to tolerate dairy, you can replace coconut cream with 10 ounces of heavy whipping cream, chilled.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake without frosting
- Calories: 209
- Sugar: 19.9 g
- Sodium: 246.6 mg
- Fat: 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.6 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 1.1 mg
Keywords: dessert, gluten free, cupcakes, dairy free, vegan