My husband loves beans. In fact, he could live off beans, rice, eggs, and salsa and be perfectly content for the rest of his life.
Me, on the other hand, would not be pleasant to be around if I ate certain beans daily (if you catch my drift). The complex sugar (raffinose) in beans makes it hard for some people to digest. But, that isn’t to say that we avoid all beans. In fact, if we eat them more now than we did in the past. If I properly prepare beans (by soaking them) then the raffinose decreases substantially. This is also true if you bake them, which is why I can handle certain bean flours and even hummus. THANK GOODNESS!
Okay, let me get to my point here. You see, last Friday my good friend and Co- Founder of Love Grown Foods (Maddy), came to my strength and conditioning class. She was in town for work and just happened to have Friday morning open. We had a blast working out together! Afterwards, we set up a table full of LOVEGROWN goodies, almond milk, and yogurt. Everyone at the gym got to enjoy a post workout snack.
They loved it! They were hooked. And the high school kids went back for seconds on the Power O’s not even realizing that they were eating cereal made from beans. Not to mention gluten free, dairy free, GMO free, and no added oils.
He’s in his next block of crazy training, so fuel is crucial, especially between workouts.That’s why I made these with the extra Power O’s we received. Breakfast Bean Muffins with berries!
Makes: 10-12 muffins
- ¾ cup Chickpea or Garbanzo Bean Flour
- ¼ cup ground any flavor Power O’s. (if you don’t have power O’s, use 1 cup Garbanzo flour instead of ¾c)
- ½ cup other GF Flour or Coconut Flour
- 1 oz freeze dried fruit
- ¼ cup freeze dried berries or fruit/nut trail mix.
- 30 grams Vanilla Protein
- 1 egg
- ½ cup water
- dash of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- optional sweetener of choice (honey, stevia, etc)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Combine dry ingredients, mix well. Add in egg, water, milk, and remaining ingredients. Beat well until smooth (besides the dried fruit mix). Coat a muffin pan then scoop the batter into each cup. Bake for 15 minutes or until middle of the muffin has baked all the way through. Enjoy with favorite topping; peanut butter, jam, butter, etc.
These are great for getting in good carbs post workout and I the dried bean flour from the cereal is pretty gentle on digestion, not to mention a good resistant starch. WIN WIN!
Well, that’s enough bean Talk for a Marvelous Monday! Let me know if you try these.
Do you use beans in baking? Have you tried Power O’s yet?
[Tweet “Gluten Free Berry Breakfast POWER Muffins via @LCCotter #fitfluential #glutenfree #fuel #Recipe”]
- Instagram –LCCotter
- Pinterest– LCCotter
- Email- [email protected]
- Bloglovin-Cotter Crunch
- Feed burner –Subscribe Here
- Crazy Cotters (both our blogs combined) Facebook page.
Lovegrown Foods is celebrating their new region by hosting a Love Blogger Giveaway for the Power O’s. I posted the giveaway on our Crazy Cotter Facebook page. Go check it out and enter. Open to US and Canada!