Here we are. Another Friday. Goodness, yes! Speaking of goodness, the husband has had two sessions at Carter Physiotherapy and his neck is 90% better. We’re ecstatic! He has one more session Monday to “touch up” things. And yes, he’s back to training. PRAISE THE LORD!
As far as the the Digital Dilemma goes, I’ve actually been doing much better. I know, it’s only been 2 days, but hey, it’s progress. I allow 20 minutes segments. Once the 20 minutes are up, I disconnect. Last night I went to bed at 9:45pm. It was glorious!
That extra sleep actually gave me more energy to teach my boot camp class. Beneficial for me, but not for my ladies who take the class. I think I heard them curse my name after. LOL!
** Note: that should say one ARM press up and you can find the tutorial here
After a good workout I am craving substance. And as much as I love a good salad, I like variety and “heartiness” even more. Keeps my taste buds happy and my body nourished. Yes, that means salad free lunches. Yes, that means one upping your sandwich. Yes, that means taking leftovers to a whole new level!
Salad’s will always be an easy go-to for me, but the Cotter’s are definitely needing more “pump” at lunch these days. Especially the hubs!
Top 5 Gluten Free Lunchtime Happy Meals
1. The Perfect Protein Packed Sandwich
- 2 Hard Boiled Egg
- 1/4 cup Organic Cultured Cottage Cheese
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
- black pepper and sea salt
- dash of paprika
- Favorite bread (I used Udi’s GF bread but I think Pita would also be lovely)
- cucumber or romaine lettuce to add crunch
- And the secret ingredient- 1 tbsp. Thousand Island or French dressing – Organic Ville Make a great Gluten and Dairy free dressing.
Directions: Slice up your eggs and empty out the yolk into a separate bowl. Add the cottage cheese, dressing, and remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Layer it onto your bread; add the sliced egg whites, and romaine/cucumber. DONE! For an extra kick, add in jalapenos.
2. Hummus Flatbread
Ingredients: (recipe adapted from here)
- 1/4 cup plus water
- 1 egg (or egg substitute)
- 1 tablespoons oil (I used coconut or grape seed)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning mix (salt, black pepper, garlic, onion)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour – I actually used a combination of GF flours made from coconut flour, pumpkin powder, almond flour. But using just coconut works too!
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (I might have used a little more)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tbsp. Plain Hummus
Directions: Whisk together water, eggs, oil and hummus. Then mix together flour, baking powder, half the paprika and chili powder. Combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly making sure the batter is clump free. Heat oil on a skillet over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, pour in batter evenly until it spread thin. Usually heats up nice and brown after 1-2 minutes, then flip to the other side. Remove and sprinkle with the rest of your smoked paprika. This made 2 flatbreads. Double the recipe to make 4 easily.
3. Love my leftovers Noodle Wrap
· This one is for the leftover king and queens! Ever make an oriental rice or Kelp noodle dish for dinner? If so, save those leftovers! Mix the leftover noodles with a little broccoli slaw, chili pepper sauce, chicken, and tahini. Then wrap it up! I use brown rice or corn tortillas for this. So tasty!
4. Loco for Cocoa Eggins
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup coconut cream or regular cream
- 1 tbsp. 100% cocoa powder
- Optional – chili pepper for spice
- Mix all your eggs and cream in a bowl. Add in your spices and mix again. Oil up a muffin pan and spoon in your batter to each tin.
- Place in oven at 350F for 18-20minutes depending on your oven.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes
- Sprinkle with extra cocoa if desired.
**Add a side of fruit and a yogurt for a complete “breakfast” for lunch.
5. Everything I ever wanted GF Bagel Sammy
· This is not your average bagel sandwich, trust me! Toast your Everything flavor bagel (I use Udis Gluten Free). Then spread laughing cow cheese (or regular organic cream cheese) on each side. Then add in hearts of romaine lettuce, red pepper jelly, organic turkey, and balsamic glaze.
So there you have it, a few non-salad NOURISHING lunch time remedies! Go for it, and let me know whatcha think.
What are your go-to NON salad lunches?
Oh and let me know if you try this workout.