Made with simple, healthy ingredients; eggs, non dairy milk, maple syrup, pears, apples, nuts, and spices. This easy Apple Pear Pie forms it’s own crust while baking, saving you time in the kitchen. Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, vegetarian.
- 1 1/2 cup almond or coconut milk (almond milk will cook faster)
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp of melted butter or coconut oil (clarified butter is preferred or non dairy butter)
- 2 tbsp pear juice or maple syrup (sweetener)
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- Heaping 1/2 cup of arrowroot flour (or tapioca flour) Between 1/2 c to 2/3 cup.
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup coconut sugar*
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt or fine sea salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 1 c chopped/sliced pear (canned in juice)
- 1/2 c red apple – thinly slices
- Optional 2 –3 tbsp almonds – slivered
- Extra apple slices, crushed pecans or slivered almonds, cinnamon, coconut sugar or powdered sugar (not paleo) and cinnamon. Melted butter to drizzle.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 8 inch or 9 inch pie pan or cake tin with parchment paper.
2. Combine milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and butter in a blender (see notes). Blend until smooth the Transfer into a bowl.
3. In another small bowl, sift your coconut flour and then combine with your arrowroot starch (or tapioca flour), sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt, baking powder. Mix together.
4. Mix your dry batter with your blended egg/milk batter. Stir together until smooth. Fold in your sliced apple/pear
5. Fold in about 1/2 cup or more of your coconut flakes.
6. Pour into your prepared pie or cake pan.
7. Sprinkle a handful of slivered almonds, pecans, and thinly sliced apple on top.
8. Bake for 45- 50 minutes. Remove from oven, drizzle a little melted butter (optional) on top, cinnamon, more coconut sugar, etc. Then lightly Cover with foil and bake again for 15 -20 minutes, or until center comes out clean with toothpick. The edges will be crispy brown once brown.
9. Check the middle to make sure it’s no longer liquid. (See notes for more baking times)
10. Remove from oven. Let it cool for 10 minutes so the center can set.
11. If you are not serving this right away, place pie in the refrigerator to set more. It will still have custard like texture in the middle.
*Coconut sugar can be replaced with brown sugar if you are not paleo.
If you don’t have a blender, you can beat all the liquid ingredients together using stand mixer or hand held mixer. Make sure the batter is smooth.
Once ready to serve again, reheat in oven for 5-10 minutes. Serve with coconut milk ice or whipped cream.
This pear apple pie also freezes well if you’d like to keep for longer.
Baking notes: This pie was baked at altitude. If you are at sea level, be sure to check on the pie around 45 minutes to see progress.
Estimated Nutrition based on using almond milk.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 21g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: pie, paleo desserts, pear apple pie, gluten free, dairy free