Happy Good Friday and Easter weekend. I honestly don’t think of Easter as an unhealthy Holiday. It’s more of a celebration, actually a JOYOUS celebration! And when I think of Easter dinner or brunch, I think more about the gathering of friends and family, where good food is supposed to be shared and enjoyed.
Unless you’re turning one around Easter time, then you can get away with hogging the cake and using your hands to eat!
But let’s face it, the Easter egg/candy hunt is where most of the real damage is done! And when I say damage, I mean ingredients. So maybe we can help “ease” the damage a bit. Maybe we can just focus on TASTY real food and real ingredients. Hence the word FOCUS.. which means we do what we can to eat real 80% of the time.
The other 20%…… well it just might be consumed by marshmallow peeps or Cadbury eggs (the kiwi’s guilty pleasure).
This past week I made two Easter themed snacks that are both worth making year round! Made with real ingredients (yes sugar is real, sorry.) and lots of LOVE. Love because I’m Corny Cotter. Always.
First to try is out a Carrot Cake Smoothie, a perfect post workout shake! I made this one with Vanilla Corepower and Growing Naturals Rice Protein Drink. That way it stays lactose free. The maca was added because I really think it helps with hormonal balance. Hey, i always need that. 😉
The second is a Jelly Bean Healthy Bite. I made these for my nieces bday last weekend and saved some for this week as well!
The jelly beans are from Surf Sweets; a dye free, gluten free, and all natural candy company (see pic from above).
- 2/3 Vanilla Protein Powder (I used Growing Naturals Brown Rice Vanilla)
- 1/4 cup coconut Flour (can use pb flour or almond meal if you are not sensitive to nuts)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Sunflower Seed Butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp. Cherry Or Raspberry Extract
- 1/4 tsp. Lime or Orange extract
- 1/4 tsp. Vanilla etract
- 1/4- 1/3 cup favorite Sur Sweets Jelly Beans
- 2 –3 tbsp Crushed Banana Chips (optional but makes it crunchy vs. all chewy)
- optional : add in shredded coconut and extra protein or coconut flour to coat.
- This recipe is super easy because you don’t need to grind anything but your banana chips, if your adding them. Just mix up dry ingredients first, then add in your jelly beans or Jelly bellies.
- If you are using large jelly beans, you will need to chop them first. The minis work great just mixed in.
- Then add in you sunflower seed butter, extract, and honey. Mix well, then roll into balls/bites. One in balls, coat with extra vanilla protein. Or you could try coating the bites in a tropical flavored protein powder or coconut flakes! Freeze right away then store in fridge or freezer to maintain freshness. Makes around 20 bites, give or take.
- NOTE –> if you add in more coconut or have a thick protein powder, you might need to add more honey and/or nut butter to keep batter from being to dry. [/print_this]
Are you surprised I shared another healthy bite recipe? Ya, me too! That’s 2 in one month! Take advantage.. haha.
Hope these Treats and Eats make it to your table or on your snack plate. Have a JOYOUS Easter weekend. Make it a Strange But Good one!
Favorite Easter Treat?