Cauliflower alfredo sauce is a dairy free, healthy pasta sauce without nightshades. Make this recipe for a delicious way to eat more veggies!
- 1 lb cauliflower florets
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced) or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning or dried herbs (like oregano or basil)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup vegetable broth (2/3 cup for thinner sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (see notes for sub)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (canned) or non dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of boiling water or broth to a boil. Add the cauliflower, cover the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until cauliflower is slightly tender but not too soft. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the same pot over medium heat with oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the cauliflower and Italian seasonings and cook/combine all together for an additional 2 minutes.
- With a wooden spoon or spatula, carefully transfer the sautéed onion, garlic, and cauliflower to a blender or bowl of food processor. See notes for hand blender option.
- Transfer cauliflower purée back into the pot and stir in cream or milk. Heat to medium, stirring until combined. NOTE: For a thinner consistency sauce, feel free to use additional broth or coconut cream.
- Serve with veggie noodles or your favorite gluten free pasta.
- You may use a hand blender to make the puree, but make sure the cauliflower is cooked long enough so it’s easy to hand blend. Or, use an immersion blender and a large stock pot to make the puree in.
- If you don’t need a vegan/dairy free option, feel free to substitute Parmesan cheese for nutritional yeast.
- For a thinner consistency sauce, feel free to use additional broth or coconut milk. We used 1/4 cup coconut milk for the thicker consistency shown in the blog post images.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: sauces
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 to 1/3 cup depending on the desired thickness
- Calories: 73
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 196.6 mg
- Fat: 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.3 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: cauliflower alfredo sauce, dairy free alfredo sauce, nightshade free, vegan, dairy free, gluten free