This recipe for vegan mushroom soup makes a rich, creamy dairy free soup that’s perfect for lunch or a light dinner. Gluten free and packed with nutrients!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter* (I used plant-based butter. See notes for vegan option)
- 1.5 cups chopped onions
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced. (~3 to 4 cups sliced). Cremini or white button mushrooms.
- 1/3 cup dry white wine, OPTIONAL. Can be left out.
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed or 1.5 tablespoons fresh (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika and pinch of smoked paprika (smoked paprika is optional)
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce or coconut aminos
- 2.5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot flour (tapioca starch may be subbed but texture will vary).
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt or full fat coconut milk (*canned and chilled for vegan option)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Place butter* in pot and melt, coating the pan.
- Place your onions in the pot and saute for 5 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and saute for an additional 5 minutes until mushroom are browned and coated in butter. Onions will brown as well.
- Stir in the wine, dill, paprika, tamari sauce and broth. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the thickening mixture; non dairy milk and arrowroot flour. Pour the flour milk mix into the soup and stir thoroughly to blend. Cover pot and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, stir in the salt, ground black pepper, lemon juice, parsley and yogurt (or solid coconut cream). Mix together and allow to heat through over low heat, about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not boil.
- Garnish with extra chopped parsley and cracked pepper. Serve immediately or let it cool and store in airtight container in fridge.
- May be placed in freezer for up to 3 months.
- 3 tablespoons refined avocado oil or olive oil may be substituted for butter
- To lower carbs, use full fat coconut cream versus yogurt. For solid coconut cream or milk, be sure to keep the can in the fridge to chill.
- This recipe was inspired by one of my favorite ALL RECIPES!
- Category: Soups
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Hungarian
Keywords: vegan mushroom soup, gluten free, paleo, vegetarian, dairy free, healthy soup recipe