This Vegan Mushroom Soup is inspired by Hungarian recipes and is rich, creamy, and full of flavor. Completely plant based and gluten free, it’s the best make ahead option for a light lunch or filling dinner full of nutrients. Serve it on its own or with your favorite gluten free bread!
Why You Should Skip the Canned Mushroom Soup!
If you’re anything like us, you grew up eating canned soups. You know, the ones with the red and white labels that just need to be heated up and eaten with a spoon? Yep, those. They were staples in our childhoods, and we still get a nostalgic craving when the weather begins to cool. However, one outlook at the ingredient lists and you’ll see an exorbitant amount of sodium and no real nutrients to be found. So, we found a way to recreate all the creamy goodness we love while eliminating the additives and fillers we don’t with this vegan mushroom soup!
Not only is it tasty, but it’s also made with whole food ingredients that are budget-friendly and good for you, too. Plus, it’s a breeze to prepare and can be made in advance and enjoyed throughout the week. One bite, and you’ll never go back to the store-bought stuff again!
A Better for You Mushroom Soup Recipe
ust to clarify, this recipe isn’t for condensed soup or even vegan cream of mushroom soup – it’s for ready-to-eat soup. Think of it as a lightened-up version of your grandma’s creamy mushroom soup…dairy free, of course!
All it took was a few simple swaps, to create the same great flavor with less saturated fat, less sodium, and a boost of probiotics. Plus, it’s gluten free, grain free, vegetarian, and paleo friendly, too!
Simple Dairy Free Ingredients
The beauty of mushroom soup is that it has a rich, intricate taste that is achieved with very basic ingredients. For this vegan version, here’s what you’ll need:
- Unsalted Vegan Butter – Refined avocado oil or olive oil may be substituted.
- Vegetables – yellow onions and cremini mushrooms or white button mushrooms add a savory flavor and a boost of nutrients and fiber.
- Dry White Wine – Technically optional, the acid from the white helps enhance the flavor of the mushrooms and onions.
- Herbs and Spices – Dill, paprika, salt, black pepper, and parsley are included to create a robust flavor. For our version, we include Hungarian paprika to replicate the sweet heat of Hungarian mushroom soup. If you can’t find it in your local grocery store, it is easily replicated with a combination of hot and smoked paprika!
- Tamari Sauce or Coconut Aminos – This helps create the salty, umami taste we’re looking to achieve without the need for soy sauce. As a result, the soup has less sodium and no gluten!
- Broth – Vegetable broth or chicken broth helps thin out the soup while boosting the taste.
- Non-Dairy Milk – Crucial to creating a creamy consistency. Any non dairy milk such as almond milk, oat milk, or hemp milk will work!
- Arrowroot Flour – Used to create a sort of roux and thicken the soup. If needed, tapioca starch may be substituted, depending on the texture of your soup may vary.
- Full Fat Coconut Milk – A great replacement for heavy cream, this is the secret to creating an ultra decadent vegan mushroom soup. That being said, feel free to use Greek yogurt if dairy is well tolerated.
Pro-Tip: Feel free to add in extra veggies or plant based protein of choice!
How to Make This Vegan Mushroom Soup Recipe
From start to finish, this recipe is ready in an hour and couldn’t be easier to make when you follow the steps below!
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, and melt the butter ensuring it coats the bottom completely.
- Sauté the onions until they’re fragrant and translucent. Then, add in the mushrooms, and sauté until they’re browned and coated in butter.
- Stir in the wine (if using), dill, paprika, tamari sauce, and broth. Then, cover the pot, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk the milk and arrowroot together in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the pot, stir to combine, cover, and simmer again.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, and let warm on low heat until heated through. Garnish, serve warm, and enjoy!
Pair this mushroom soup recipe with all your favorite sides for a well-rounded meal that leaves you feeling satisfied! Some of our favorites include:
How to Store Leftover Vegan Mushroom Soup
One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s perfect to make ahead of time! That means you can prepare it once, and enjoy it all week.
Fridge: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Freezer: Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Let your frozen soup thaw in the fridge overnight, and warm leftovers in the microwave or on the stovetop when you’re ready to eat.
More Vegan Soup Recipes You’ll Love
If you enjoy this vegan mushroom soup recipe, you won’t want to miss out on more of our favorite cozy soups listed below!
- This Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup is so “cheesy” you’ll never believe it’s completely dairy free!
- Made with simple, wholesome ingredients, this Vegan Tomato Soup is guaranteed to warm you up from the inside out.
- Creamy and comforting, this Roasted Corn Vegan Soup is ready in just 35 minutes!
- Cumin Roasted Root Vegetable Soup is quick, versatile, and so tasty even the kids will be excited to eat their veggies.
Do you have questions, feedback, or tips about this recipe? Leave a comment below with any questions or feedback you’d like to share!