Sauteed Brussels Sprouts Salad with Creamy Mustard Sauce (Vegan, Paleo)
For the Cashew Cream Mustard Sauce:
- 2/3 cup to 3/4 cup of the my Plain Cashew Cream Sauce* (no add-ins) plus Add in ingredients below note *you will need 1 1/4 raw cashews and 1/4 cup vegetable broth in place of coconut milk for thinner sauce option
- 1/4 cup spicy or honey mustard (gluten free)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced.
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp olive or avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- sea salt/pepper to taste
See notes for QUICK version if you don’t want to use the cashew cream.
For the sautéed brussel sprouts
- 4-5 cups Brussels Sprouts (chopped in half)
- 1 shallot (sliced) or 1/3 c red onion sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic Vinegar
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Optional cranberries and fresh herbs to garnish
For the Creamy Mustard Cashew Cream Sauce
- You will need to soak your cashews for at least 2 hrs or up to 24hrs in the purified water. Once you soaked your cashew, make the plain cashew cream sauce, with the following blended in: Garlic, mustard powder, olive oil, onion powder, salt/pepper, and 1/4 cup broth to thin it out. (If you don’t have time to soak cashews, there is also a quick 10 minute version of this sauce in the notes.)
- Blend until creamy. Feel free to thin it out with more water or broth to get the consistency you like.
- Pour sauce into a bowl and set aside.
SEE NOTES FOR A READY TO USE SAUCE ALTERNATIVE.
To make the sauteed brussel sprouts salad
- Next, wash and cut your brussel sprouts and onion. Remove stems from Brussels Sprouts.
- Add 1 tbsp olive to a skillet or fry pan. Heat on medium heat then add in your Brussels Sprouts and onion. Sauté on medium to medium high for 7-10 minutes or until Brussels Sprouts start to get tender and crispy brown on edges. Add in your balsamic vinegar during the last few minutes of sautéing to brown edges.
- Next add add in about 2/3 c to 3/4 cup of your creamy mustard sauce. (Save the extra sauce for another dish or freeze for later).
- Mix all together, then add 1/4 tsp pepper and sea salt. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes on medium heat until everything is mixed, creamy, and, cooked.
- Remove from heat. Plate or serve in a bowl. Garnish with red pepper flakes and/or cranberries and fresh herbs.
- Serve or store in fridge covered for later. Great hot or cold!
- If you are not up for making the cashew cream sauce or are short on time, you can use plain hummus, avocado, or a creamy plain yogurt dressing (although not paleo or vegan) and blend with the mustard and garlic and spices! Easy!
Keywords: brussel sprouts, sautee, salad, brussels sprouts, vegan side dish, paleo, dairy free, healthy