Millet mushroom risotto is a creamy and comforting plant-based main or side dish. It’s easy to make on a stove top or in a slow cooker, and it’s more wholesome than traditional rice risotto.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1–2 tbsp butter or vegan butter
- 1 shallot, or 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tsp)
- 1 1/4 cups button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup hulled millet (arborio rice or quinoa can be subbed)
- 2–3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup white wine, optional* see notes for subs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan (or 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes for vegan option)
- 1 cup or more loose leaf spinach
- Fresh parsley, to serve
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS
- Add oil to a large skillet or frying pan and bring to medium high heat; add shallots and garlic and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add millet and mushrooms and stir to coat with oil.
- Increase heat to high, add white wine. Let millet and mushrooms absorb the white wine while it cooks off, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium high and add in 1 cup stock. Stir all together.
- The millet will start to absorb the stock after 10 minutes. Once it does, add another 1 cup of stock into the pot.
- Continue cooking, stirring every couple of minutes, until the millet is almost all the way cooked through, around 17-20 min).
- When millet is cooked, reduce heat to low. Add butter and stir, then stir in the parmesan (reserving some for topping) and spinach. Cover and let spinach wilt for 2 minutes. Stir again.
- Garnish with parsley and sea salt/pepper to taste
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS
- Using a skillet, saute the olive oil, shallots, garlic, and mushrooms over medium high heat. Add 1/4 cup of dry white wine. If you don’t have white wine, you may skip or just add a touch (1 tbsp) of white wine vinegar. Cook for 5 minutes or until mushrooms have slightly softened. Do not overcook. Add in millet (or rice), stirring to coat for 2 minutes
- Line the slow cooker or oil the sides. Add millet risotto mixture
- Pour in stock and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Stir to combine again. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on high for 1 hour 30 minutes or low for 2-3 hours, or until millet is tender and liquid is absorbed. If you can, check halfway through cooking and stir.
- Once it’s cooked, stir in spinach, nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese and mix all together until creamy. Top with fresh parsley.
- To substitute white wine, use 1/4 cup vegetable stock plus a splash of lime or 1 tbsp white wine vinegar.
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mushroom risotto, millet, how to cook millet