Watermelon salad bowls are the perfect nourishing, gluten free meal. Coconut cream, jasmine rice, watermelon and raisins combine to create an amazing bowl of nourishment! Light, refreshing, and delicious!
Is it summer yet? Um, well, it feels like it here. Northerners, don’t hate me. I know you just got snow. EEK! But really, it was almost 90 degrees F. last week, which means our summer is going to be brutal. Like all day 100+ F brutal. AHHH… we must prepare!
That being said, our bodies will need to (slowly) start adapting to heat and humidity. We will need to keep our mineral supply in good check, as well as our hydration. It’s all about that electrolyte balance, yes?
You see, last summer, my husband (aka the kiwi) would wake up at 7am, get out the door by 8am and ride for 4 hours in the Texas summer heat. He would have 5 water bottles, stop 2 times to refill, and still come home parched and not very hungry due to dehydration. He would down a coconut water or chocolate milk, but sometimes a drink just doesn’t cut it.. … not in Texas at least.
That’s when I, the worried Sherpa Wife, decided to make these watermelon salad bowls.
We know that REFUELING within that 45 minute post workout window (a long and/or intense session) is KEY to RECOVERY. But I also think that refueling with REAL Food will give you more nutrients. That’s if you choose wisely. haha.
These watermelon salad bowls are legit! It was something he could eat right away.
In fact, this is a watermelon salad recipe that ANYBODY can enjoy on a hot summer day. No workout needed. No sweat needed, but that is a perk!
- Light in taste so easy on the stomach
- Made with natural fruit sugar to replenish glycogen –> the good carbs
- Packed full of hydrating watermelon and Vitamin C
- Raisins for potassium
- Resistant Starch from the Rice (cooled)
- And just a little of coconut cream or milk to supply us with extra minerals, vitamins. Plus it pairs so well!
Enough talking – time to make the watermelon salad!Print
Coconut Rice and Watermelon Salad Bowls. Healthy, vegan, gluten free side dish!
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup chopped watermelon
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (can also use condensed milk)
- 1/3 cup raisins or dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped basil or mint
- 1/4 cup honey or agave for vegan option.
- *coconut oil
- Dash of salt
- First prepare your rice. Cook according to directions. Usually 1:2 ratio of rice to water. Drain, stir in 1 tbsp coconut oil and a dash of salt. Let it cool in fridge.
- While the rice is cooling, chopped your herbs and watermelon. Once rice is cooled, stir in the coconut cream and honey.
- spoon rice into 2 -3 bowls and top with raisins, watermelon, herbs, and more honey/coconut cream.
- Keeps well in fridge overnight too!
- Category: side dish
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: rice, salad, watermelon, side dish, healthy, gluten free
Being the nutrition nerd i am, I just had to explain my reasoning in my recipe. I’m sure you are okay with that, right?
So there you go. I’m prepping you for summer. For sweat fest season. For EAT ALL THE WATERMELON season. Runners, triathletes, cyclists, outdoor boot campers …. are you ready for it?
Tell me your tricks for refueling during the summer. Do you have any go to meals that work for you?
Well, time to go pick up some more watermelon … or any melon for that matter!
MORE IMMUNITY BOOSTING RECIPES HERE!
This recipe is part of our 10 Best Immunity Boosting Recipes collection. Check it out!